Male Panther Chameleon dark/dull for the last few days

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male, 1 year old Ambilobe Panther chameleon. I have owned this chameleon for 9 months.
Handling - Every couple of days
Feeding - I feed him locusts, occasionally crickets and very occasionally mealworms as I dust his food with calcium D3 powder.
Watering - I hand spray his cage once in the morning, once at lunchtime and once in the evening.
Fecal Description - Fecal matter looks normal but I will confirm this later as I haven't looked.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen Reptibreeze 3ft high vivairum
Lighting - I am using a 60watt spot bulb for heating and a T5 UV strip.
Temperature - Basking spot is about 85-90
Humidity - Hunidity varies from about 50-80
Location - WI am located in the south-west of England?

Current Problem -In the last couple of days, one of my male Panther chameleons (who is usually very active and boisterous) is displaying very dull and dark colours. He is usually very energetic and runs out of the cage at the first sign of me being there. He also is very fiery in front of other chameleons and is extremely bright most of the time.

I was thinking he may be about to shed but I checked him last night when he was asleep and he was very bright in his sleep so indicates to me this may not be the case? I have 5 other chameleons in the same room who are all fine and all of my husbandry variables have been fine. Nothing has changed for him to suddenly react to this either.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to why he would suddenly 'dull-up' or should I be expecting another shed?
Thanks

Has It been hotter than normal where you live to raise the ambient temperature throughout the cage? I've noticed in the past if my guys can't escape the heat in the basking area they will keep duller colors.. Check your ambient temp...

Thanks for your replies.

The chameleons are hidden from each other as I tape plastic sheets to the side of the vivariums to keep the humidity in and to hide them from each other.

The temperature has increased slightly too so you may be correct with that. I usually keep the door open or closed depending on how hot or cold it is in the room (the UK weather is crazy, one day hot, one day cold.). I will leave the door open to get more cold air into the room and see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom