Male Panther Ambilobe Not Eating

cityman212

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther Ambilobe Male 7 months old
How long has it been in your care? 2 Months

Handling - Usually Once a day to let roam on plants in the sunlight for a short time.
Feeding - crickets large and small, superworms, I have Driscoid Roaches but he wont eat. Crickets are gut loaded with a dry mix and water gel w/ calcium also fruits and vegatables.

Supplements - for first 1.5 months I was dusting w/ Rep-Cal Herptivite and Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3 every 2-3 days. Then after reading about suppliments in the forum I realized this was too much so I have set a new schedual of Repti Calcium Without D3 daily and Herptivite and Calcium With D3 every two weeks. However, since the switch his eating habits have continued to decline so the new schedual really has been implemented other than the daily dusting of calcium without D3.

Watering - Thorough Misting of cage, cham and plants 6 to 8 times a day. Also Dripper 12 hours a day with droplets landing on plant material.

Fecal Description - large compacted brown stool and white urate.
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? no

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. After about 1 month of owning he seemed to decline in activity and sleep a lot. The breeder noticed some mucas one day in his mouth and feared a URI. We imediatly took him to a Reptile Vet. The vet examined and found no evidence of a URI. Although I feel that he did have a slight infection coming on that may have not fully developed. The vet did not prescribe any medication. he never developed a URI fully but seemed to sleep a lot so we tried Reptaid, he improved rather well after a 10 day treatment and activity increase. However, slowly he has begun to sleep more and eating habit have now declined to none.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen, 48x24x24
Lighting - repti sun 5.0 uvb,uva day light on 7am to 7pm
Temperature - cage floor AM 70 Throughout the day 84 bottom 88 Mid 95max basking spot. Ambiant temp do not drop below 65 at night Ambiant during day this time of year 80
Lowest overnight temp 62-70
How do you measure these temps? every other day with a infrared thermometer
Humidity - What are your humidity levels?55-75 Higher in Plant areas.
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? live Potho Plants and Hoya's
What do you use to measure humidity? humidity gadge
Plants - Are you using live plants? Potho & Hoya
Placement - Where is your cage located? Screened covered portch. Screen covered w/ lattuce and Plants.
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 6 feet off floor
Location - Where are you geographically located? West coast central Florida

Also have exact same set-ups for 1 female panther Ambilobe 3 Months old, 1 male and 1 female Ousteletts both 5 months old. 4 cages total same setup. These have no issues and appear very healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_3121.jpg
    IMG_3121.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
What kind of veggies are you giving to your feeders? What kind of humidity gauge? 95 degrees is to hot for a panther, try lowering those temps in the basking areas to about 85 86. Kale greens are good to give your feeders as they are a good source of vit A. That may help with his eye. Nice long warm misting as well.

What kind of veggies are you giving to your feeders? What kind of humidity gauge? 95 degrees is to hot for a panther, try lowering those temps in the basking areas to about 85 86. Kale greens are good to give your feeders as they are a good source of vit A. That may help with his eye. Nice long warm misting as well.

Apples, Banana's, greens so far... I will try some Kale next store visit... I can raise the fixture for the basking area to lower the temp, the ambiant will be rising much higher soon anyway here in Florida. The Humidity will rise too. I have used a dial humidity gage i need to pickup a more accurate digital.. but given the ambiant humidity levels in our area combined with the frequest mistings and drippers the levels can only be much better in the plants... Thanks for the reply!

Sherman

he looks trim to me. what kind of day light are you using for basking?

The basking light is 75 watt Zoo Med basking bulb. The Fluorescent bulb is Rept Sun 5.0 New Bulb. The Daylight when outside is direct morning to mid morning sun while in a large Ficus Tree misted often with shade provided. usually 1 hour. The inside "Porch" is a 10'x20' Screened room with wood lattuce on the outside and vegitation growing. This limits the sunlight signigifantly but does provide some difused sunlight in the morning from 7am to 11 am...

personally...if you feel ok/experienced with force feeding. i would mix 1.0ml of pedialyte, a little herptivite and a small pinch of calcium. if my panther acts strange i give him this and it usually snaps him out of it.

Last edited:
personally...if you feel ok/experienced with force feeding. i would mix 1.0ml of pedialyte, a little herptivite and a small pinch of calcium. if my panther acts strange i give him this and it usually snaps him out of it.

I was wondering if this was a potential.... I was worried that the stress associated with it was more harmful than the nutrients recieved. However, he is very gentle with my wife and allows her to open his mouth without too much effort. (She likes to give him a chin rub and he seems to like it... Go figure...)

Back
Top Bottom