Male Panther ambilobe is horny after he got a glimpse of a female.... NEED ADVICE! :)

brilowe1991

Goodmorning!!! Blue my male year 1/2 Panther Ambilobe Chameleon is feeling very irratated/excited. Maybe you guys can help me out...? I got a 8 month old female ambilobe panther last week.. had there cages set up next to each other & put a barrier inbetween blocking there views of each other. As i am getting my nervous female cham settled; i gave her some space to explore on her own, she is a little shy so i wanted to make her feel comfortable. At that time, it was Blue's normal routine to come out of his cage & go sunbathe, he got a glimpse of the female & immediately started head bobbing & changing color. I took him outside ignoring the fact that he just saw the female & he continued to headbob the whole time outside. 45 mins of sunbathing & we go back in and hes still clinching my hand & headbobbing. I put him back into his cage & he remains his beautiful colors & continues to still headbob into bedtime. The next day i wake up & i see him still in his beautiful mating colors & headbobbing. So i thought, "ok i got to do something with the cages." I moved the female across the room & covered Blues side of the cage & one side of the females with a LIGHT sheet. There is NO POSSIBLE way he can see her. He just 'knows' she's there. My main concern is now he is slowing down on his eating; hes been so interested with this female although he can't see her.. can't interact with her... all of the above. This morning i was like, "dude you need to eat." He usually eats like 4-8 hornworms a day & now i've seen him eat maybe 2 horn worms and maybe 5-8 superworms in the past couple days. He refuses his dubias, and his favorites were hornworms...
What the hell do i do now? Will he eventually over time get used to the fact that he knows there is a female there? He just wants to get some lovin' but its not gunna happen yet.
[[[Sorry for the long post.. just in need of some advice lol.]]]

How long has he not been eating and how long has it been since you have covered both their cages? I mean honestly he should calm down as long as he catches no glimpses of her. And he should eat eventually, he won't starve himself. But he can easily go 2 weeks or more as long as he isn't losing weight I wouldn't worry. Him not eating every day is actually normal at his age. And unless you free range him on a huge free range or he has a huge cage 24/7 he will need his weight monitored.

Its been since last Friday since I've covered both of them. There cages are right next to each other. And then on Tuesday he was still head bobbing like he could see her even though he couldn't.. so I moved her cage completely across the room. He still looks over there but cant see her since I still have both sheets over the sides. He's eaten about 5 things since last Friday. and he hasn't pooped in 2-4 days.. im not sure. He's not free ranged, but wants out ALL the time so I take him outside to sunbathe. He like lunges towards her direction off my shoulder(again he has no visual ability to see her unless he is just looking at the cage)
Someone else told me its actually good to restrict there diet when there older, I was just used to him eating at least 5 different insects a day I have on hand.​

It's not an issue, and is rather normal this time of a year for him to slow down on eating, even boys who don't know females are in the room often get fidgety and anxious and want out all the time because they want to roam etc. Mating instincts are strong this time of the year for them. His eating doesn't sound very worrying and his pooping is not worrying unless he looks constipated. Just make sure he is well hydrated when not eating and stuff. He will come around. You can offer some good feeders every day, if he doesn't eat within a couple hours, take them out. Try again the next day. Honestly unless he is losing weight or looks sickly (which he definitely doesn't sound it) I wouldn't worry. I will tag some others to see if they have some other advice and just to make sure I am not wrong.

@Extensionofgreen @jajeanpierre @jpowell86 @Matt Vanilla Gorilla

Thank you yes he doesn't look sick, he seems fine I just wanted some advice! Its soo much appreciated!

BTW if anyone is on instagram my chameleons have a page as well.. yes im that crazy :rolleyes:

instagram- @Chams_inlove

Attachments

• blue14.jpg
    blue14.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 150
  • blue12.jpg
    blue12.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 142
Back
Top Bottom