male or female??

brum

hi,im new to the forum and have been looking about and its agreat site with some good info,i got my chameleon afew weeks ago as a male but yesterday i was looking for the spur on his foot but can only see a very tiny bump so small some times it looks like nothing,hes quit aggressive and not really letting me pic him up at the moment so i cant get a proper look.is there any other way to tell?.any help would be great.thanks.ps i managed to get a pic up in my gallery.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums Brum. Below I have placed a picture of what tarsal spurs on a male will look like. After you see the picture I think you will be able to make an accurate judgement on the sex of your chameleon.
View attachment 528
Veiled chameleons in general are know to be aggressive towards their owners. I would highly suggest hand feeding your veiled. This lets them see you in a good light. Not as a predator. They are very strong willed independent animals so handling them on a constant basis is not a good idea. It can also effect their health in negative way.
If you have a female she will require a little more specialized care and diet. I do not think either are a big deal. Knowing in advanced and a little planning ahead make the situation of egg laying easy.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply,im still not totaly sure some times it looks like a male and other times like a female,is it harder to tell when they are young?,he/she eats from my hand with no problem but is just a bit grumpy and hisses sometimes.

I looked in your gallery. Your chameleon is a lady. I suspect that what you are seeing bump wise is the skin from the feet. The crease does make the back of the feet triangular. She is cute.

I looked in your gallery. Your chameleon is a lady. I suspect that what you are seeing bump wise is the skin from the feet. The crease does make the back of the feet triangular. She is cute.

I went back to shop yesterday and had a word with them and they said if they told me it was a male at the time then it is a male because they are easy to sex,but i asked him to show me some other chams and even i could tell the difference between the m/f even on the tiny chams.I dont mind thoe because she is lovely and has even started letting me handle the abit,i just wanted to find out just in case she becomes graved and things like that.Apart from that she is doing great and i could sit back for hours and just watch her because she is so funny.

Back
Top Bottom