Male or Female Panther Chameleon?

Jp123

Hey, I just got a new ambilobe panther chameleon from a pet store and they told me it's a male. This is my first chameleon so I just want a second opinion on its gender. I've had it for just over a week and I'm now realizing that I may have a female because of the coloration and lack of tarsal spurs. I am not sure about it's age but it's about 6 inches from head to base of tail.

unnamed (4).jpg unnamed.jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (1).jpg

Congrats on the new chameleon and welcome to the forums! You definitely have a female and she looks full grown, so at least a year old. Fun fact: Panther chameleons don't have tarsal spurs :)

Females will lay infertile eggs just like chickens do so you will need to set a laying bin for her. This is a good resource on that:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

It would also be worthwhile for you to make sure her enclosure is good to go especially if you took any of the advice the pet store gave you who couldn't properly sex an adult chameleon smh. Please answer these questions in as much detail as possible and post pics of her enclosure top to bottom.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

She looks like she might be producing eggs already. You should get the lay bin in the cage ASAP. Opaque container at least 12" X 12" X 9" deep....filled almost full of playsand that is just moist enough to hold a tunnel.

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I informed the pet store of the mix up and was able to exchange her for a male without any issues. I talked to a more knowledgeable employee than the one who helped me last time and I feel like she's in good hands.

I would have gotten her from you and gave you a male!!! That poor girl.. just needs to lay her eggs... ***** kills me to see that!!! Look how sweet she is!!!! People are selfish!! The op could have at least let her lay the eggs then return her

Last edited by a moderator:
I informed the pet store about all of the concerns you guys brought up in this thread and told them she seemed eggbound and they said that they would provide her a laying bin. I had paid extra for a male and dont have the resources to own two chameleons so I’m sorry if I could have gone about this situation in a better way. Like I said I talked to a more knowledgable employee who was actually in charge of taking care of the chameleons at the store (the guy who sold it to me was not) and he reassured me she would be well taken care of. I mean’t no harm and gave her the best care that I’m capable of with my minimal experience. Im curious for future reference, what would have been the best way to handle this situation? If I had known there was a better alternative I would have done so in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom