Male nosy faly, growing slowly.

burnedrose

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male, Nosy Faly, bought from LLL in beginning of November. Estimated to have been born
Handling - Once or twice a week to clean the cage (not a full cage cleaning, just basic care, but I sometimes need to move him around as I pick up leaves, poop, clean up excess moisture, etc. Full cage cleaning, with removal and cleaning of branches done once every month)
Feeding - free-range crickets, approx 80 bought every two weeks with about ten being released every two days or so. but not sure how much he is eating due to crickets escaping, larger ones being removed by me, etc, but a fair amount are being consumed. Crickets are fed TRex cricket diet, and apples, spinach and carrots.
Supplements - Repashy at every feeding, per directions on container
Watering - Monsoon mister, 45 seconds every two hours
Fecal Description - poop is solid, urate is white, tested negative for parasites in November
History - None

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen cage, 28" x 16.5" x 30", placed in out-of-the-way corner in great room.
Lighting - ceramic heater for night time (we turn off our home heater at night), 5.0 UV bulb during the day for 12 hours (on timer), purchased in November
Temperature - Have thermometers in the cage - one on the top of each side of the cage, one at the bottom in the center. Warmest is about 75 during the day, bottom is about 69. Highest at night is 67, lowest is 60 (this temp is taken around 10pm, after the heat has been off for at least two hours).
Humidity - Humidity is higher at night, since I don't have the heat on, but we have the ceramic heater. We use a small hydrometer to measure humidity. Highest was at 67%, lowest, during the day, reaches about 54%. It's extremely variable, due to the heat being on during the day, but those are the numbers I can recall off the top of my head.
Plants - Yes, small ficus plant
Placement - It the corner of our great room - not near any doors, windows or walkways.
Location - San Diego area

Current Problem - Since we got Forrest, he has grown very slowly.

This is my first panther - I've owned Jackson's and Veileds and Pygmy's in the past, so I am not quite sure on the growth and color development of panthers.

He's grown maybe an inch and bulked up a bit. He also has really noticeable armpits, which concerns me for when he sheds (in case it gets stuck in his armpits or whatever...I know, I might be overreacting). I may be unobservant, but I've never noticed this on my other chameleons before.

I'd love to have some feedback on my care as well, since it is a new species for me and I'm kinda combining all the things I've read on the internet into one. His vet has given him a stamp of approval, in terms of his overall health and lack of parasites.

I attached a picture taken this weekend before I cleaned his cage up. You can see some blues coming in - the photo is a bit washed out, but it doesn't seem like a lot of color compared to other chameleons his age, nor does he seem as big as they are.

Attachments

• forrest.jpg
    forrest.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 202
Hi yea nice panther you have there .imo faly seem to grow and color more slow than most other panthers. My warmest spot is 82 . I have faly s also they are nice .im in san Diego also.

Falys havebeen known to grow slower, how old was he when you got him?

Also, is 75 his basking spot? if so, it needs to be at least 10 degrees higher.

I didnt see anyhing about a basking bulb.

He should be fed daily, not every other day.

Falys havebeen known to grow slower, how old was he when you got him?

Also, is 75 his basking spot? if so, it needs to be at least 10 degrees higher.

I didnt see anyhing about a basking bulb.

He should be fed daily, not every other day.

OK, I'll switch it to daily. I wasn't because I still saw a few crickets wandering around the cage.

I haven't bought a basking bulb - I figured it was warm enough. I plan on homing him outside during the warmer months anyway, which is why I opted not to get one. I'll grab one ASAP from LLL - any suggestions on what I should use?

When I got him, he looked to be about the age of a one month old veiled. They didn't know the date for sure. One of the breeders on here said he sold his baby falys to LLL and they were born in July, but another breeder said he sold his in late october, so I'm betting he's a september baby.

I'm happy to hear that falys grow slower - I thought I may have retarded his growth somehow and was very concerned!

Hi yea nice panther you have there .imo faly seem to grow and color more slow than most other panthers. My warmest spot is 82 . I have faly s also they are nice .im in san Diego also.

I'll go buy a basking bulb from him - I'm in the La Mesa area, but I work out at the docks at Mission Bay. A bit north of you, but hey! Nice to meet a fellow cham lover out here! I moved out here in September, so it's great to know that there's some other cham parents out here. :)

You can just use a regular house bulb. (not the coil kind)

I doubt you stunted his growth.

Just relax, feed him daily.

more than likely he wasnt eating as much because his basking temp is too low.

Unlike people, chams cannot gain heat from their surroundings as well.

A basking spot is needed to help them digest. the lower the temps, the longer it takes to digest, thus why he wouldnt eat as much.

I'll go buy a basking bulb from him - I'm in the La Mesa area, but I work out at the docks at Mission Bay. A bit north of you, but hey! Nice to meet a fellow cham lover out here! I moved out here in September, so it's great to know that there's some other cham parents out here. :)

nice!, yeah im close by as well.. if you ever need some support we are close by. :)

looks like a good lil cham you have there.

You can just use a regular house bulb. (not the coil kind)

I doubt you stunted his growth.

Just relax, feed him daily.

more than likely he wasnt eating as much because his basking temp is too low.

Unlike people, chams cannot gain heat from their surroundings as well.

A basking spot is needed to help them digest. the lower the temps, the longer it takes to digest, thus why he wouldnt eat as much.

ahh, ok. Thanks camimom! I got a few extra bulbs sitting around here. Or should I leave the ceramic heater on during the day as well? You always seem to help out whenever I have questions and I really appreciate it!

nice!, yeah im close by as well.. if you ever need some support we are close by. :)

looks like a good lil cham you have there.

Thanks! Are there cham owner groups or anything like that out here or is it rather informal? And it's great to know that there are people out here for support. :)

Back
Top Bottom