Male Jackson's chameleon lethargic and not eating???

ginger00

So I have about a year old male Jackson's chameleon and I know they are prone to getting Temporal Gland Infections but he has no signs around the corners of his mouth that might indicate it. He doesn't seem to have any trouble breathing as he's not wheezing or coughing either. BUT, he hasn't eaten in a few days and I noticed he hasn't pooped either .. could he be constipated? Or just dehydrated? The last couple nights I've sort of force fed him water with a dropper/teaspoon but he still doesn't seem to move around a whole lot, he just lays on a branch for hours with his head rested on it, sometimes with his eyes closed. When I take him out of his cage he's very active but not when I put him back in. Worried about him and going to the vet isn't really an option at the moment. His eyes aren't sunken in so that's good. Thinking it may be constipation, I read some forums saying to try a small drop of mineral oil or cod liver oil, I gave him a drop or two of cod liver oil last night along with water but he still hasn't gone to the bathroom yet... Any ideas on what this may be? He shows no other symptoms other than lethargy and lack of appetite and not pooping....

Cod liver oil has a lot of vitamin A in it. One dose might be ok but don't give anymore or you will overdose him!
I would suggest vet care as the best thing for him you can apply for care credit for his treatment if needs be.
If that isn't possible then we can try evaluating his living situation/husbandry and see if there is something there that's affecting him. Here is a list of questions that might help us find the problem.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info
My Cham:
He's a male Jackson's chameleon roughly about a year or a little less old. I've had him for 6 months.
Handling: I rarely take him out of his cage because i know it can cause them a low level of stress.
Feeding: I feed him about 8-10 crickets per day, usually early to mid afternoon. I feed the crickets either Fluker's Cricket Quencher-Calcium Fortified or Fluker's Orange Cube Complete Cricket Diet
Supplements: ExoTerra's Calcium + D3 I use almost daily and National Geographic's Reptile Multivitamin Supplement Powder about once a week
Watering: I mist his cage for about 20 or 30 seconds (until everything is soaked pretty good) about 3 times a day. Sometimes he goes to drink for it immediately and sometimes he doesn't.
Fecal Description: His most recent droppings (about 4 or 5 days ago now) seemed normal in color and consistency. And no, he has never been tested for parasites.
History: 6 months ago I purchased my little George at a reptile store. They said he was field-collected/wild-caught, and under a year old based on how often he sheds.

Cage Info:
Cage Type:
Screen cage, 28 in x 24 in x 16 in
Lighting: Not exactly sure the brand or model but it is a classic long UVB bulb. I keep my little baby in a closet where i can control the lighting/humidity/temp, his UVB is sitting on top of the cage but I have a larger fluorescent light hanging above in the closet that lights up the whole closet (kind of signaling for him when "day" and "night" is). I try to keep the UVB and larger light off for about 10-12 hours per day so he can sleep well.
Temperature: I don't have a thermometer in the closet but it feels warm but not too-warm, maybe 75 degrees or so? I keep a little radiator in there and adjust it as needed but since its summer time i haven't needed it lately as the closet he is in is on our second floor (upstairs) which gets much warmer than downstairs. Now I really only use his ceramic heat emitter which seems to keep it slightly warmer in the closet than outside it. Since he's been acting funny i wondered if maybe it got too warm upstairs for him with his heat emitter so a couple days ago i started turning it off at night since I know a drop in temp at night can be beneficial and there should be a slight drop in temp at night. I just always feared he would get too cold at night so I have usually left it on at night.
Humidity: I keep a little humidifier turned on med-high pointed at his cage (he usually likes to sit on the branches near it) which has a decent fog coming from it. Enough for water droplets to collect on the screen and drip down a little.
Plants: He has artificial leaves/foliage in his cage which are fabric ( and i keep this in mind to mist it even more and more often). But he will also drink water droplets that collect on the screen when I mist his cage.
Placement: kinda how I previously mentioned, he's in his own little hall closet on the second floor of my house (my room is also on the second floor). No vents in there so i can control the temperature & lighting very well and there's no draft.

Current issue: Lethargic, not eating, not pooping

Attachments

• 15617703182873998814599047432924.jpg
    15617703182873998814599047432924.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 169
Here's a bigger picture of the closet he is in

Attachments

• 15617705544453269225535496863658.jpg
    15617705544453269225535496863658.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 141
Since he is wild caught Parasites could be an issue, so I would get him checked asap. Also you need to get a thermometer asap as well and 75 degrees is good for ambient temperature but basking should be in the 80-82 degree range (for juveniles) and a higher for adults I'd say mid 80s like (83-84). Also his cage is a bit bare I would add some plants, fake plants aren't the best option as they don't hold humidity very well and harbor bacteria. Also your supplementation needs work use Repashy Calcium with LoD. And maybe its the picture but that cage looks a little bit too small as well especially for one that big.

I think the Vet is your best bet just to make sure anything sinister isn't going on. Good Luck I hope he eats soon.

And don't use the Flukers Orange Cube they don't provide nutrients kind of just keep the crickets alive gutload with dark leafy greens and I personally use carrots and apples and oranges.

Also I would remove the substrate and keep the bottom bare or use something like reptile carpet or newspaper, loose substrate can cause impaction in reptiles.

Supplements: ExoTerra's Calcium + D3 I use almost daily and National Geographic's Reptile Multivitamin Supplement Powder about once a week

He's getting too much D3. It is poisoning him. He should only get that once a month and calcium without D3 twice a week. That will make him very sick. Don't give him anymore for at least a month or more.
He will need a dose of vitamin A from retinol. Your multi vitamin only has betacarotene. You can use a smear of the oil from a human Vitamin A supplement on the back of a feeder to get him a dose. Do this only once and switch to a multi with Vitamin A and only give the supplement monthly or do a smear of A monthly with your vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom