Male chameleon not sexually active?

saradoggy10

Established Member
My male ambanja panther, Lemon Boy, hasn't been showing any signs of being.... interested in anything. I've had him for almost 2 years now and he doesn't show any interest towards my receptive female whatsoever. I've tried outside the cage, in his cage, in her cage, in a room with dimmed lights and music playing, and no results. No head bobbing, no color change, just puffing up and gaping. The female is 2.5 years old and very healthy, and she's just a good sport.
I'm not super upset about him not being receptive, I've considered hiring a stud for her. (Anyone in Wisconsin with a male ambanja hmu lmao)
I understand ambanjas are difficult to breed, and I've come to terms with that.

I would say the main reason I'm making this post, is because I haven't noticed him release any sperm plugs whatsoever. I've had him for quite some time now, and sometimes things just don't seem quite *right*.
Is it normal for a male to *never* release sperm plugs?

I've got an asexual chameleon haha

My male ambanja panther, Lemon Boy, hasn't been showing any signs of being.... interested in anything. I've had him for almost 2 years now and he doesn't show any interest towards my receptive female whatsoever. I've tried outside the cage, in his cage, in her cage, in a room with dimmed lights and music playing, and no results. No head bobbing, no color change, just puffing up and gaping. The female is 2.5 years old and very healthy, and she's just a good sport.
I'm not super upset about him not being receptive, I've considered hiring a stud for her. (Anyone in Wisconsin with a male ambanja hmu lmao)
I understand ambanjas are difficult to breed, and I've come to terms with that.

I would say the main reason I'm making this post, is because I haven't noticed him release any sperm plugs whatsoever. I've had him for quite some time now, and sometimes things just don't seem quite *right*.
Is it normal for a male to *never* release sperm plugs?

I've got an asexual chameleon haha
We need answers. Personally facing this problem

@PardonMyPardalis ...are you concerned about the lack of desire to mate or the sperm plugs or both?
My male will not fire up against males or females, no head bob, and he does not change half dark when basking. He has fired up before but not in my time with him. He will puff up but no color change. Any help is appreciated he is a great cham but won’t breed.

You can try shortening and the lengthening his day over a few months to duplicate seasonal changes. You only need to shorten by 15- 20 minutes.
If it is working his colors will brighten as his hormone level rises. Make sure you are not over supplementing and your light and temperature is good.

You can try shortening and the lengthening his day over a few months to duplicate seasonal changes. You only need to shorten by 15- 20 minutes.
If it is working his colors will brighten as his hormone level rises. Make sure you are not over supplementing and your light and temperature is good.
I should try shortening and lengthening the time the lights are on for sure. I found a sperm plug shortly after this post and I relaxed quite a bit. Of course I was concerned about him not breeding, but I was mostly concerned something was wrong in general.

Back
Top Bottom