Male chameleon laying on the viv floor, any advice?

ATA892019

Hello everyone, I’m new to the site and not sure how to start a new feed to ask for help but I’m in desperate need of some.

My male chameleon has been laying on the viv floor for three days, his colour looks good and he’s been eating when I offer him food but just not moving much and looks like he’s have some trouble with his back legs although he still has a strong grip on them. I have pics and can complete the form but just wanted to make sure members was going to see this post before I upload them. Thanks for any help In advance.
D8B9DE5E-582F-44A3-8236-3857112722C1.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, sorry your little guy is not doing well. I would suggest taking him to a vet. He could have MBD. If you could take some time and fill out the help form it can give us an idea to whether or not it’s husbandry related. Best way to fill it out is to copy and paste.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

The weird curve in the back and his/her behavior is the same as from my chameleon Terry who fell and fractured his spine with a previous owner. Your chameleon is suffering. If he or she doesn’t get vet treatment you can’t hope for a real recovery. He/she is in a state of trauma. He/she needs a vet.

The weird curve in the back and his/her behavior is the same as from my chameleon Terry who fell and fractured his spine with a previous owner. Your chameleon is suffering. If he or she doesn’t get vet treatment you can’t hope for a real recovery. He/she is in a state of trauma. He/she needs a vet.
Agreed^ it is a female, not gravid, and no obvious outward signs of MBD. Her spine should not be angled like that, see pic below for where break appears to be.

It’s possible this is still a case of MBD despite no classic signs. MBD would definitely make her more prone to falls and breaks.

As mentioned above, first priority is a vet. Then come back for correcting your husbandry.
2942D8BF-F572-43A7-B3FC-F9AFC534A6BC.jpeg

Thanks for all the advice, I’ve taken her to a vet who confirmed she was female and it looks like she may have fallen off a tree and broken her spine as some members mentioned in the comments. The vets have have put her to sleep now so she's
No longer suffering. Thank you to everyone for the help and advice. I’m gutted but as long as she isn’t suffering anymore.

Thanks for all the advice, I’ve taken her to a vet who confirmed she was female and it looks like she may have fallen off a tree and broken her spine as some members mentioned in the comments. The vets have have put her to sleep now so she's
No longer suffering. Thank you to everyone for the help and advice. I’m gutted but as long as she isn’t suffering anymore.

I’m sorry for your loss. At least she is no longer suffering.

I’m so sorry about your girl. Be strong.

There was something wrong with her if she just fell and broke her spine. This is why it's important to read and get your husbandry checked before something like this happens. A lot of times people dont want to point out flaws after an animal has passed, but if we don't there will be no learning.

Back
Top Bottom