Making your own feeders

ZEROPILOT

Avid Member
I have a collection of feeders I've made and feeders that I've purchased and I still prefer the "deli cup" style feeder.

Attachments

• 20191203_114104.jpg
    20191203_114104.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 118
And I made these that work very well.
Bowls with open front and nylon mesh backs.
I'm not including the ones I purchased already made. I don't like how they attach and they're a hassle to place crickets into them.
Please post photos of your own designs.

Attachments

• 15766415104721369711514884548266.jpg
    15766415104721369711514884548266.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 86
I have made the milk jug feeders and still had crickets and roaches get out lol, so I went with the one that had the least amount of escapees which was the shooter gallery. Deli cups work well, I just didn’t like the look lol. If you haven’t already just poke some holes in the bottom for drainage. I’m curious about the round one, I hope it works out! :D

I have made the milk jug feeders and still had crickets and roaches get out lol, so I went with the one that had the least amount of escapees which was the shooter gallery. Deli cups work well, I just didn’t like the look lol. If you haven’t already just poke some holes in the bottom for drainage. I’m curious about the round one, I hope it works out! :D
No.
The crickets got out of that one too.

I'll use some soft plastic edging on these.
I like that I can also put Superworms in these and my chams can see them.

Attachments

• 20191218_134625.jpg
    20191218_134625.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 20191218_134608.jpg
    20191218_134608.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 65
Those are some very sharp edges :eek:. I would put a bead of silicone around them just to prevent any possible injuries to your chams tongue.
Those were failed prototypes.
The crickets climbed up the mesh and jumped straight out.
And as you noticed, the plastic is harder and sharper than milk jug plastic.

I use the full throttle feeder cups for my crickets. My trick is after dusting my crickets I’ll let them settle down for a couple minutes so they are not in flight mode. Then I would pour them in, I might have 1 out every dozen or so jump out.

I use the full throttle feeder cups for my crickets. My trick is after dusting my crickets I’ll let them settle down for a couple minutes so they are not in flight mode. Then I would pour them in, I might have 1 out every dozen or so jump out.
That's one of the gripes I have with the feeders I purchased. (Over $70 for four with shipping.)
I drop more crickets than I load into it. Then half of the ones that DID go in, still hop back out. And i hate the pins.
I won't be using them.
I'm going to try the FULL THROTTLE cups next.

I have 3 Full Throttle feeders - 4", 3", and pole (4") styles. I lose a cricket here and there, but for the most part as long as you let them settle down before dumping them in they're content to stay. Younger crickets seem a lot jumpier than 4 week + ones. I dont use the Full Throttles for anything other than crickets - the supers tend to not climb and often get overlooked, and while I dont currently have access to them I imagine it'd be the same with many roaches. Bsfl sneak behind the mesh and quickly become inaccessible even if they are spotted.

With Lily not eating unless hand fed and Kismet's feeder being in a hard to reach spot (bad design on my part), I've taken to using deli cups as feeder dishes. They're not pretty, but they're also only in there for the (at most) 15 minutes it takes for Kismet to demolish everything.

My 2 cents!

I found a use for push pins.
Holding food for escaped, free ranging crickets

Attachments

• 20191219_110113.jpg
    20191219_110113.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 115
Back
Top Bottom