Making sure my cricket set up is right

shade34321

So I've been going through a lot of crickets, most end up dying. After reading a few other posts about I figured I did not have enough hiding places for them and that the wet food I was giving them was the problem. So I stopped with the fresh food, until I figure out exactly what's causing them to die, and started putting more stuff in their bin. I'm not looking to buy egg crates if I don't have to but if I do I will, currently using a mixture of toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, some smaller egg cartons, and some cup holders from McDonalds. Well A good deal are still dying on me so now I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I'm doing wrong. I read other people's post and the only thing I can not verify is air flow. Currently the container they are in has three holes in it for air flow. One on the side and two at the top. I try and clean up the cricket bin once a week, one and half at worst case now. I change out their water about twice a week and feed them as I see their food gets low. Here is the cricket bin so you can get a better visual of what I'm doing. Any suggestions? Also I'm trying to get the crickets sorted out so I can start a small colony of dubai roaches, obviously don't want to get roaches as well just to have them die off. Thanks!

Blueberry2223

The air flow is not very good what I did is I put my crickets into a different bin then went to home depot and got some of the aluminum mess that are used for cages then I cut a square out of the bin and hot glued some mess where I cut the square out so they cant get out and put them back in the bin and it work good.

Juancito

So I've been going through a lot of crickets, most end up dying. After reading a few other posts about I figured I did not have enough hiding places for them and that the wet food I was giving them was the problem. So I stopped with the fresh food, until I figure out exactly what's causing them to die, and started putting more stuff in their bin. I'm not looking to buy egg crates if I don't have to but if I do I will, currently using a mixture of toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, some smaller egg cartons, and some cup holders from McDonalds. Well A good deal are still dying on me so now I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I'm doing wrong. I read other people's post and the only thing I can not verify is air flow. Currently the container they are in has three holes in it for air flow. One on the side and two at the top. I try and clean up the cricket bin once a week, one and half at worst case now. I change out their water about twice a week and feed them as I see their food gets low. Here is the cricket bin so you can get a better visual of what I'm doing. Any suggestions? Also I'm trying to get the crickets sorted out so I can start a small colony of dubai roaches, obviously don't want to get roaches as well just to have them die off. Thanks!
you should buy the calcium cricket quencher. its a water source for them that has calcium so youre gut loading them as well. I would use more egg cartons also. I have 1000 crickets that do perfectly well with the 3 egg crates and one toilet paper roll that I put in the cage. try to feed them slices of apples too. my crickets love them. hope I helped a bit.

shade34321

The air flow is not very good what I did is I put my crickets into a different bin then went to home depot and got some of the aluminum mess that are used for cages then I cut a square out of the bin and hot glued some mess where I cut the square out so they cant get out and put them back in the bin and it work good.
I'll look into getting a slightly bigger container and add some more mesh then. Thanks!

shade34321

you should buy the calcium cricket quencher. its a water source for them that has calcium so youre gut loading them as well. I would use more egg cartons also. I have 1000 crickets that do perfectly well with the 3 egg crates and one toilet paper roll that I put in the cage. try to feed them slices of apples too. my crickets love them. hope I helped a bit.

I actually do give them that, This to be exact. I've only been buying them 1000 at a time since the container is only supposed to hold 1000. Would you still recommend more egg crates? I plan on giving them apples, oranges, and possibly squash once I get them lasting a little more than 2 weeks. Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom