Making My Own

Thatwizard420

Chameleon Enthusiast
I've searched intensely in the search function for answers, but I can't find any. I want to start Buying the materials needed to start making my own... I'm wondering around how much does it cost, what type of wood to use? What would be the best hardware store to get what I need etc. Its for a Veiled Cham.... i want it to be 3x3x5

Id recommend hardwoods like alder, balsa, beech, hickory, mahogany, maple, oak, teak, and walnut. Stay away from soft woods like douglas fir, juniper, pine, redwood, spruce, yew and cedar. A lot of softwoods are poisonous like aspen and pine due to their acidity. You can never go wrong with oak.

Edit: i just go to Home Depot in the states. Cost can be up there, probably between 50-100$

Last edited:
Do you have saws and pneumatic staple guns? I can show you how I do it, if you would like, it takes me 6 hours from start to complete

In my opinion maple or oak would be your best bet. If possible find some that are weather treated or some with no chemicals such as paint. All you’d really need is a fair amount of wood, a saw of any sort, a staple gun, a few feet of mesh, some hinges, 2 dead bolts, a drill, wood screws, a plan and a few hours.

Make sure you sand down the wood with 80grit then switch to a higher grit such as 400+ just to make sure there’s no possibility of splinters.

Maple and Oak are really good wood and extremely sturdy so i don’t see too much stability issues. With extra wood you could even build a stand to put it on. I’ve always wanted to build a cage but to be honest i’m too lazy to rearrange my room lol

Do you have saws and pneumatic staple guns? I can show you how I do it, if you would like, it takes me 6 hours from start to complete
I got (My Brother) Any carpentry tool. He's just too busy to help me atm. I can do it myself just need guidance on the topics mentioned above, but all my questions were answered.

In my opinion maple or oak would be your best bet. If possible find some that are weather treated or some with no chemicals such as paint. All you’d really need is a fair amount of wood, a saw of any sort, a staple gun, a few feet of mesh, some hinges, 2 dead bolts, a drill, wood screws, a plan and a few hours.

Make sure you sand down the wood with 80grit then switch to a higher grit such as 400+ just to make sure there’s no possibility of splinters.

Maple and Oak are really good wood and extremely sturdy so i don’t see too much stability issues. With extra wood you could even build a stand to put it on. I’ve always wanted to build a cage but to be honest i’m too lazy to rearrange my room lol
Do you not need to put a sealant over oak to waterproof?

Back
Top Bottom