Make it Easy

Ebkruer

First time Cham owner and I have a new cage, 2x2x4 aluminum screen. I got it for my female (I think petsmart knew the gender) veiled chameleon. She is I'm going to say roughly 5 months. I need someone to just stop the confusion of lights for me and tell me what to buy. I feel like everything I look at says something different and I'm losing my mind between rude admins to pet shops that don't know what they are doing 20180926_103615.jpg . I have one live plant (majesty palm) in the enclosure and went and got a ton of foliage garland from hobby lobby. I'll add a picture of us setting it up. I just don't know what would be best lighting for her. We got her from petsmart with onset MBD so we are treating her for that before bringing her into the new enclosure.

First time Cham owner and I have a new cage, 2x2x4 aluminum screen. I got it for my female (I think petsmart knew the gender) veiled chameleon. She is I'm going to say roughly 5 months. I need someone to just stop the confusion of lights for me and tell me what to buy. I feel like everything I look at says something different and I'm losing my mind between rude admins to pet shops that don't know what they are doing View attachment 214471 . I have one live plant (majesty palm) in the enclosure and went and got a ton of foliage garland from hobby lobby. I'll add a picture of us setting it up. I just don't know what would be best lighting for her. We got her from petsmart with onset MBD so we are treating her for that before bringing her into the new enclosure.
UVB T5 High Output linear bulb and hood, use either Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia bulbs either 6% or 12%

UVB T5 High Output linear bulb and hood, use either Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia bulbs either 6% or 12%
And a basking spot, either a flood light from the hardware store or reptile basking spot bulb, no blue or red lights and no lights at night. If it’s too cold at night, get a low wattage ceramic heat emitter

And a basking spot, either a flood light from the hardware store or reptile basking spot bulb, no blue or red lights and no lights at night. If it’s too cold at night, get a low wattage ceramic heat emitter
You shouldn’t need night heat as long as it isn’t colder than 50*F

Arcadia 6% HO T5 for uvb, 60 watt regular incandescent bulb for heat. Might need a 75 watt depending how warm your house is. There is no need to waste money on pet store heat bulbs they usually dont last that long and do the exact same as a regular Bulb.

rude admins
Rude admins?
@Decadancin may be a douche sometimes but he is by no means an admin... He's just a moderator.

But the above pretty much sums it up, if you want the bee's knees get the T5 HO and use whatever wattage incandescent you need to make baskingspot the recommended temperature.

At night temps may drop to like 50F without a problem.

As stated, I would definitely recommend Arcadia T5 HO for UVB. I generally recommend 12% for veilds. If you can get a fixture that holds multiple bulbs it can also hold a 6500k plant bulb. Those combined with a dome fixture with an incandescent bulb (wattage will determine basking temp - for a female you want to keep it a bit lower) and you will be all set.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html

I would also recommend getting a Golden Pothos for the enclosure. They provide ample cover for escaping the lighting if needed and have wide leaves that hold tons of water droplets for drinking opportunities. They also help maintaining humidity levels.

Here is a link to the caresheets and laying bins in case you haven't seen them yet...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

Oh, and Welcome to the forums! :)

Rude admins?
@Decadancin may be a douche sometimes but he is by no means an admin... He's just a moderator.

But the above pretty much sums it up, if you want the bee's knees get the T5 HO and use whatever wattage incandescent you need to make baskingspot the recommended temperature.

At night temps may drop to like 50F without a problem.
The rude admins weren't here, it was a group I found on facebook. They didn't want to really help just tell you that you're stupid and wrong more than anything else.

As stated, I would definitely recommend Arcadia T5 HO for UVB. I generally recommend 12% for veilds. If you can get a fixture that holds multiple bulbs it can also hold a 6500k plant bulb. Those combined with a dome fixture with an incandescent bulb (wattage will determine basking temp - for a female you want to keep it a bit lower) and you will be all set.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html

I would also recommend getting a Golden Pothos for the enclosure. They provide ample cover for escaping the lighting if needed and have wide leaves that hold tons of water droplets for drinking opportunities. They also help maintaining humidity levels.

Here is a link to the caresheets and laying bins in case you haven't seen them yet...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

Oh, and Welcome to the forums! :)
Do you really think that she will get to lay eggs with the MBD? I was thinking that it wouldn't be an option anymore. She is still young, not really sure how old she is at this point. The gravid thing is actually scaring me but not as much as just getting her back to her version of normal now. I know she won't ever be the same but she is improving slowly. I just want to make sure that her lighting is 100% before we bring her into the new cage. I was told my a vet to get a 4ft light and run it down the cage but I just feel like its going to burn her out doing that.

Do you really think that she will get to lay eggs with the MBD? I was thinking that it wouldn't be an option anymore. She is still young, not really sure how old she is at this point. The gravid thing is actually scaring me but not as much as just getting her back to her version of normal now. I know she won't ever be the same but she is improving slowly. I just want to make sure that her lighting is 100% before we bring her into the new cage. I was told my a vet to get a 4ft light and run it down the cage but I just feel like its going to burn her out doing that.
I’ve considered running the UVB vertically before and would defanitly like to hear what others have to say. But as long as yourcham is healthy enough to make the trip to the upper part of the viv I don’t see much of a need for it. May be a different story for one with MBD...

... and if you have caught the MBD in the early stages it should not prevent her from reproducing. Your going to worry yourself sick the first time she lays no matter what, everyone does. Just make sure to read up on it and ask lots of questions and you’ll be just fine.

... and if you have caught the MBD in the early stages it should not prevent her from reproducing. Your going to worry yourself sick the first time she lays no matter what, everyone does. Just make sure to read up on it and ask lots of questions and you’ll be just fine.

I figured it would freak me out when its time. I haven't gotten that far into research but I guess I should if laying is still an option. Her MBD was bad. She has finally stopped with the tremors but she still isn't walking right and her grip isn't 100% like it should be. seems to struggle with climbing and getting a good foot on everything. Probably another reason a stronger plant might be a good idea. I am REALLY into the idea of hiding the lights on her cage which is what is semi interesting to me on doing the vertical method but I also think that it would be painful to look at her cage if you are staring at a light head on.

Wait, diddnt you say she had onset MBD? Onset meaning early...
thats what the store said was onset but she was shaking constantly for awhile, we started doing calcium by dropper and the shaking has stopped but I think she is just now trying to really recover. get her strength back. she is actually climbing more than she was. I got her on discount from petsmart because of the sickness.

thats what the store said was onset but she was shaking constantly for awhile, we started doing calcium by dropper and the shaking has stopped but I think she is just now trying to really recover. get her strength back. she is actually climbing more than she was. I got her on discount from petsmart because of the sickness.

My veiled has MBD also. We do liquid calcum every night. She stayed on the ground for probably 2 weeks maybe. She's climbing again now. She has issues with one leg still. But she's climbing good now. Mine never had the tremors. That's very scary indeed.

I'm also terrified about her laying eggs. I've been doing a lot of research about when she might start this. Mine is not full grown yet, so hopefully I have some time before she starts it. I've been trying to figure out the best way to make a laying bin and what soil/sand to use. Everyone has different opinions bc I'm sure different things work for different people. Its nerve racking!

My veiled has MBD also. We do liquid calcum every night. She stayed on the ground for probably 2 weeks maybe. She's climbing again now. She has issues with one leg still. But she's climbing good now. Mine never had the tremors. That's very scary indeed.

I'm also terrified about her laying eggs. I've been doing a lot of research about when she might start this. Mine is not full grown yet, so hopefully I have some time before she starts it. I've been trying to figure out the best way to make a laying bin and what soil/sand to use. Everyone has different opinions bc I'm sure different things work for different people. Its nerve racking!
I'm not 100% sure of her age, so that is becoming the new task at hand on deciding when to start preparing her for laying.

I'm not 100% sure of her age, so that is becoming the new task at hand on deciding when to start preparing her for laying.

I'm in the same boat. I don't know for sure how old mine is either. I'm guessing 3-5 months? But I have no idea really.

Back
Top Bottom