Madagascar environments

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I just listened to the chameleon breeder podcast episode with the scientist that has studied Chams in the wild. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on some things he said...
Before I mention any of this, Bill explicitly states to NOT confuse this with what we should be doing in captivity (such as panthers going long times without water). The wild isn't always ideal, and our goal is to allow the animals we keep to THRIVE for long periods, not just survive!

So what really caught my attention is the talk about panthers and how they tend to be out in the open. Unafraid of being seen, in dryer environments, with a high UVB index. Parsonii tend to be found in the typical wet, humid, rainforest setting. Have any of you been there and noticed this? Im not even going to start to say something about giving less water, that's a terrible idea in captivity, but why haven't panthers migrated towards dense rainforests if that is what they need? I've never been to Madagascar, so maybe you guys can help me understand this a bit.. different locales are also subject to different climates, so should they still all be treated as the same? I think I saw somewhere that panthers are made up of a bunch of subspecies, but i might be wrong. He also mentions that our gutloaded food is more nutritious than what they eat on a regular basis(which I am a believer in, but I won't start another debate, to each his/her own).

Anyway I'd just like to talk about this if anyone else does, it's really interesting because it tends to contradict what we try to replicate in captivity. Our Chams live longer than they do in the wild though, so I most definitely do not think we should be changing things.

I have listened to the same episode of the podcast, it's really interesting to think about. I hope people with more experience can talk about the topic.

From the few rescues we have taken in they have amazed me with their ability to survive horrible conditions and recover. That said it is not something I would ever want an animal in my care to endure. We are looking to have them thrive not only survive.

Yeah that's why I mentioned that. I'm just wondering why in Madagascar they would choose to be out in the dry hot sun rather than migrate to the rainforests more similar to our captive enclosures?

I am not sure... Are they able to migrate to them? Different biomes in madagascar can be hard to travel to. Also there can be a lot of competetion in areas like those, so often those who can survive in harsher climates will choose to take those for lower competetion rates (this is for all animals not just chameleons).

the reason they do not move to other placeses is becaus they are cut off to other places. you know the same way forest dwelling salamandras are cut off to move somewhere else due roads making small islands of the Forests. the contructions are burning of the woodland in madagascar creates isolations for the animals

I'm not sure these claims are true that they are unable to get there.

From all the accounts I can find online panthers are at their most common along road sides and in other clearings rather than in the deep jungle.

I don't think we should just ignore this.

I was thinking, if they got cut off somehow like mentioned, but everything I've seen and heard so far almost seems like they prefer these low to the ground, drier areas. Really would love to hear from someone that's been there

Back
Top Bottom