Madagascar Cage? Thoughts?

It appears to be a bird cage.
It doesn't look like it will contain escapee feeders.
Poop soup is best avoided IMO with a good drainage system.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/drainage-systems-for-cages-get-creative.102038/

IDK if a chameleon could get out—probably depend on age/size—but they are pretty good escape artists.

http://hqpetcages.com/about.html
I always feed with a cup anyway so for me feeders getting out isn’t really an issue. any other thoughts?

Looks like a good option to me. The only thing I would be concerned about with a birdcage, so long as your Chameleon is large enough to not squeeze through the bars, is that they may be hard to grip and may lead to your Chameleon slipping. I healthy Chameleon though should have a good enough grip to be able to still scale it if they wanted to. Just not as easily a screen.

Also I’d be cautious to make sure that the light doesn’t overheat the metal bars where they will get burned. Probably only a concern with a young Chameleon who hangs from the ceiling.

It’s a little more pricey then a comparably size screen cage, but obviously this is much sturdier and has a built-in base. Having an elevated gives you the option to build your own substrate tray and drainage if you wanted to.

So humidity control and over spray would be an issue. You would need to modify this one with solid sides. Would have to account for the UVB not having a reduction either. Distance would need to be farther away to account for not having the screen to pass through. Doors are smaller so keep that in mind when it comes to putting in plants including their pots.

I always feed with a cup anyway so for me feeders getting out isn’t really an issue. any other thoughts?
Chameleons can & do occasionally miss or drop a feeder. I use a deep feeder too, yet every time I clean I find an intrusion of dubias and a couple crickets hiding someplace.
1645796709812.png
Going through the features...

The 9" x 16" doors look a little small to get a decent sized centerpiece plant in there. A 10" pot (3 of my centerpiece plants are in 10" pots. One started smaller, but grew into a 10") may not fit.
I just measured, and I couldn't fit many smaller plants through them either.
Will this present any challenges to access and/or cleaning?
It might also be difficult to get a chameleon out of the enclosure if necessary.
I can't tell if the floor will support a centerpiece plant without spacers, but that's minor.

Being steel, it will eventually rust from misting/fogging—even normal humidity—coating notwithstanding.

PULL-OUT TRAY: Both the bottom wire grate and bottom solid tray pull-out for fast cleaning.
This appears to be very shallow, which makes sense for a birdcage—I'm guessing it was designed just to hold newspaper or other paper. If it will need to hold excess water from misting, plant watering, etc., be sure to level it, get a deeper pan, or both.

Depending on your location, a hybrid might be a better choice for retaining temps & RH.
If you plan to hybridize this enclosure, there appears to be enough space near the bottom for an intake, so that's good.
IDK exactly how you'd be planning to hybridize, but some rigid materials might interfere with climbing if they contact the bars.

I can't tell much more from the info. they provide. When assembling, square things up often so the doors don't give you trouble from an even slightly skewed frame.

If you go with this enclosure, I think many will like to know how things go, from unboxing to residency.

Chameleons can & do occasionally miss or drop a feeder. I use a deep feeder too, yet every time I clean I find an intrusion of dubias and a couple crickets hiding someplace.
Going through the features...

The 9" x 16" doors look a little small to get a decent sized centerpiece plant in there. A 10" pot (3 of my centerpiece plants are in 10" pots. One started smaller, but grew into a 10") may not fit.
I just measured, and I couldn't fit many smaller plants through them either.
Will this present any challenges to access and/or cleaning?
It might also be difficult to get a chameleon out of the enclosure if necessary.
I can't tell if the floor will support a centerpiece plant without spacers, but that's minor.

Being steel, it will eventually rust from misting/fogging—even normal humidity—coating notwithstanding.

This appears to be very shallow, which makes sense for a birdcage—I'm guessing it was designed just to hold newspaper or other paper. If it will need to hold excess water from misting, plant watering, etc., be sure to level it, get a deeper pan, or both.

Depending on your location, a hybrid might be a better choice for retaining temps & RH.
If you plan to hybridize this enclosure, there appears to be enough space near the bottom for an intake, so that's good.
IDK exactly how you'd be planning to hybridize, but some rigid materials might interfere with climbing if they contact the bars.

I can't tell much more from the info. they provide. When assembling, square things up often so the doors don't give you trouble from an even slightly skewed frame.

If you go with this enclosure, I think many will like to know how things go, from unboxing to residency.
TYSM for all this info!!

Back
Top Bottom