Lung Wash

jessica

Avid Member
Has anyone had there veterinarian preform a lung wash?
Can anyone explain how the procedure is done or what it entails?

Any information would be appreciated Thank you

I've done a transtracheal wash on snake, I assume that's what you're talking about? Basically you inject a small amount of sterile water or saline down the trachea for just a brief amount of time and then remove the fluid and collect the sample to culture bacteria or fungi that may be present in the respiratory tract. It samples deeper than just the mouth, where there is supposed to be normal bacteria. Deeper down the respiratory tract (trachea, bronchi, part of the lungs) there shouldn't be any so the culture should be able to identify what is causing the infection. It can be stressful because of the handling necessary to keep them still but it is usually quick. Let me know if I was unclear in explaining it, hope it helps!

I've read they do this to collect cultures for C&S when a chameleon has a LRI.

I'm not sure if it's something still done. Just curious lol

I've done a transtracheal wash on snake, I assume that's what you're talking about? Basically you inject a small amount of sterile water or saline down the trachea for just a brief amount of time and then remove the fluid and collect the sample to culture bacteria or fungi that may be present in the respiratory tract. It samples deeper than just the mouth, where there is supposed to be normal bacteria. Deeper down the respiratory tract (trachea, bronchi, part of the lungs) there shouldn't be any so the culture should be able to identify what is causing the infection. It can be stressful because of the handling necessary to keep them still but it is usually quick. Let me know if I was unclear in explaining it, hope it helps!

Makes perfect sense ;)

I haven't, but I am curious why you want to know. Any plans on trying one on your chameleon or is your vet interested? Sounds interesting.

Is there anyone who has had this done or assisted a lung wash on their chameleon?

I have seen it done by my vet and have done it a few times. The vet should do it. In the three times I have seen or done it , the results were good. It is not a method I feel comfortable sharing on a board and would highly recommend having a vet do it.

If you are asking if its possible and can be successful. My answer is yes.

I just have to stress that the vet should be doing it.

I have seen it done by my vet and have done it a few times. The vet should do it. In the three times I have seen or done it , the results were good. It is not a method I feel comfortable sharing on a board and would highly recommend having a vet do it.

I agree 100%. Not knowing what you're doing can kill your cham. Flushing fluid into the lungs should not be taken lightly since that is not generally conducive to life if it's not done properly. Also it needs to be as sterile as possible if you're going to have any chance in culturing the agent you're looking for. Only a vet will have the proper tools and materials.

First I want to say though I've worked in the veterinary field for years I would NEVER attempt this myself, I'm just looking for options to discuss with my Veterinarian
PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME

I haven't, but I am curious why you want to know. Any plans on trying one on your chameleon or is your vet interested? Sounds interesting.

Hi Syn,

My rescue Melleri Earl is having tons of medical problems so I've been searching online to see what kind of treatments are out there an ran across an article about it and thought I would ask. He's been going to the vet every two weeks for sometime I guess I'm reaching for straws.

Thank you Ryan,

I completely understand not wanting to share on the board and I assure you it is something I would NEVER attempt myself. This is soley for knowledge so I understand when discussing with my Veterinarian.

I guess I sometimes overlook the fact that some people would read about it and attempt it.

Back
Top Bottom