Lump on eyelid

VanessaRose

I just got a veiled chameleon today from Flchams and I noticed he has a small lump on his one eyelid. He’s eaten very well today, but I’m just wondering if it is serious or if it was part of shedding and will go away with time. I don’t want to pick him up to look closer because he is already stressed enough from being shipped here today and I want him to feel comfortable and acclimated before I do anything with it.

Attachments

• D9425D24-A446-47F9-9ED2-882880FE9591.jpeg
    D9425D24-A446-47F9-9ED2-882880FE9591.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 111
  • D7B981CF-BC4F-4D0F-84DB-59F6FF3210FD.jpeg
    D7B981CF-BC4F-4D0F-84DB-59F6FF3210FD.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 119
Pictures please and thank you
Also my humidity only stays at a proper level when my fogger is on. How long should I keep the fogger on at a time? I know they can develop respiratory problems. As soon as the fogger is off it drops back down low.

Yeah that doesn't look right and looks like it could even be causing her problems already at this stage. I would definitely try to get in contact with someone there.

Foggers aren't really ideal for chameleon keeping. Most of us use some sort of misting system that can be put on a timer, I also use a ultrasonic cool mist humidifier running all day and night in my Chams room. Having live plants will help keep in that moisture. Ive also heard of people wrapping a few sides of their screen enclosures in a shower curtain. Hope this helps.

Also my humidity only stays at a proper level when my fogger is on. How long should I keep the fogger on at a time? I know they can develop respiratory problems. As soon as the fogger is off it drops back down low.
You really only want to use the fogger at night when the lights are off. Do you have a misting system. That is a better way to get your humidity up. You can wrap the back and sides with a vinyl curtain and secure it with magnets. This will also contain the water from spraying. They should have a humidity level between 40-70%. I run a fogger from 12am-4am only. As far as the eye in the second pic it almost looks like he is trying to clean it since it is quite puffy compared to the first one. I wonder if he got something stuck during shipping?

You really only want to use the fogger at night when the lights are off. Do you have a misting system. That is a better way to get your humidity up. You can wrap the back and sides with a vinyl curtain and secure it with magnets. This will also contain the water from spraying. They should have a humidity level between 40-70%. I run a fogger from 12am-4am only. As far as the eye in the second pic it almost looks like he is trying to clean it since it is quite puffy compared to the first one. I wonder if he got something stuck during shipping?
Yes I have a mister but it usually only gets to around 40 with that. With fogger it’s 60. I know I don’t know if the eye is from shedding or what.

Wrapping the cage won’t cause any respiratory problems?
No not as long as your not fogging with lights on. You want to do longer misting sessions like2 minutes with a 3-4 minute session about noon. I have my first misting 1 hour after lights on then the longer at noon then another 2 minutes 1 hour before lights off. This will allow the plants and branches to dry out between sessions as well. Where do you live and how are you monitoring your humidity levels?

The reason you want longer misting sessions is because they need the time to clean their eyes. Short bursts don’t tend to trigger this response. It also is a much better way to boost humidity in a more natural way.

Foggers aren't really ideal for chameleon keeping.
This is not true. Foggers are preferred over humidifiers. A fogger is no different than any other tool, it’s all about using it properly. Beman’s schedule mentioned above is likely your best option.

Also you need to do fewer misting sessions per day while increasing the duration of each session to about 1-2 mins. Doing a lot of small showers each day does not give your viv enough time to complete dry out between sessions. This encourages the growth of mold and when coupled with the elevated daytime temps an increased risk of URI. Your humidity doesn’t have to sit between 40%—70% all the time, it’s okay for it to fluctuate as long as the majority of the time it’s in the correct range. This is why setting up a range of gradients within your viv is so important, it allows your Chams to self-regulate their body’s needs.

This is not true. Foggers are preferred over humidifiers. A fogger is no different than any other tool, it’s all about using it properly. Beman’s schedule mentioned above is likely your best option.

Also you need to do fewer misting sessions per day while increasing the duration of each session to about 1-2 mins. Doing a lot of small showers each day does not give your viv enough time to complete dry out between sessions. This encourages the growth of mold and when coupled with the elevated daytime temps an increased risk of URI. Your humidity doesn’t have to sit between 40%—70% all the time, it’s okay for it to fluctuate as long as the majority of the time it’s in the correct range. This is why setting up a range of gradients within your viv is so important, it allows your Chams to self-regulate their body’s needs.
Intrigued as to why a fogger is better than a humidifier? First time I'm hearing this. But I agree using a fogger correctly is fine.

No not as long as your not fogging with lights on. You want to do longer misting sessions like2 minutes with a 3-4 minute session about noon. I have my first misting 1 hour after lights on then the longer at noon then another 2 minutes 1 hour before lights off. This will allow the plants and branches to dry out between sessions as well. Where do you live and how are you monitoring your humidity levels?
I live in upstate NY so it’s dry most of the time. I have a meter reading to check my humidity

I live in upstate NY so it’s dry most of the time. I have a meter reading to check my humidity
Then wrap the back and sides leaving top and front of cage totally open. If you don’t have a pan below to catch water they have square plastic hot water heater pans that work well. Or order a drip pan off dragonstrand.com

Back
Top Bottom