Monty about 4 months ago was this
603879_318790708246967_1963601755_n.jpg

Then this was taken around 2 months ago
46943_318791304913574_1394483332_n.jpg

And now this is the most recent (good pic) about 1 month ago
67986_318789184913786_1403937954_n.jpg

And this is him about 1 week ago
970880_341450709314300_1865384435_n.jpg

As you can see there is lots of improvement in the casque but the arms are still bowed.

We had been feeding him liquid calcium for about a month and got fed up with it so we ordered D3 and non D3.

We have been using the powder for maybe 4 months now.

How long does it usually take to somewhat fix the MBD? I am moving him into his big boy cage tomorrow (hopefully... if my dad gets the drainage and light mount done) and I will be getting him some NATURAL SUNLIGHT (YAY) when his grumpiness goes away. :)

So what do you think is the #1 thing I can do for monty right now? He isn't eating as much but I really just want to know what the best thing is for MBD besides calcium.

Lots of different feeders? Alone time? I dunno.

I need help though on how long this will take.

MBD is a calcium deficiency, either due to insuficient calcium in the diet or due to something else (like lack of UV bulb) that isn't letting the body properly absorb calcium and the other vitamins that are so important. Once the deficiency is corrected, MBD is technically cured. This is evident in that he's continued to grow and develop as normally as possible. However, not all of the physical signs of MBD will completely go away.

As far as continuing to keep him healthy, yes, a variety of feeders and a strong gutload are a must. Sunshine will be great for him too but make sure his nutrition is good. If you look through the Chameleon Care Resources on here (there's a link in my sig) you can see what a good supplement schedule looks like and what the recommended gutload foods are, along with links to great nutrition blogs by members.

MBD is a calcium deficiency, either due to insuficient calcium in the diet or due to something else (like lack of UV bulb) that isn't letting the body properly absorb calcium and the other vitamins that are so important. Once the deficiency is corrected, MBD is technically cured. This is evident in that he's continued to grow and develop as normally as possible. However, not all of the physical signs of MBD will completely go away.

As far as continuing to keep him healthy, yes, a variety of feeders and a strong gutload are a must. Sunshine will be great for him too but make sure his nutrition is good. If you look through the Chameleon Care Resources on here (there's a link in my sig) you can see what a good supplement schedule looks like and what the recommended gutload foods are, along with links to great nutrition blogs by members.

I have no money to buy good gutload with, so you know what I do?

I gutload my crickets with a mixture of apples, sometimes carrots, sometimes strawberries (is that ok?) and water and lettuce, as well as other greens.

So the crickets do have some flavor for sure.

My father hates roaches.. so that's not working.

Maybe I should order some hornworms? I have superworms and crickets so far because isopods failed!

I will check out sandra's blog again to see if there is something I can afford :)

Back
Top Bottom