Lots of Calumma brevicorne eggs

About ten days ago I had a banner week for C. brevicorne eggs, 85 in total, spanning three different clutches. One of the clutches had 36 eggs, which was amazing to me based upon my experience with them. I've had three other clutches (in 2015) that ranged from 17-23 eggs.

As luck would have it, last week one of my customers e-mailed to say his brevicorne arrived with a bunch of eggs in the bag...argh. I had an employee pack the order and would have avoided shipping a gravid female that was close to laying--but at least the customer will have fun incubating.

Anyhow, after reading through Jpowell86's great post about his crypticum (awesome), I was reminded about these eggs, and how the gravid brevicorne females all appear to have yellow heads/flaps (that's always been my experience). I was reading a chameleon book Jeremy loaned to me and I was trying to figure out the physical difference between crypticum and brevicorne, because the pictures of females of the two species looked identical to me.

Below are a few pictures of the laying(s).

Best regards,
Sam
Backwater Reptiles

This one's a shallow layer...notice the yellow flaps/head.
IMG_0371.jpg

Another...
brev.jpg

The beast clutch...
brev1.jpg

I only know of a single person that's hatched them, Elisa Hinkle at ChamEO. Might try to contact her? Not sure how she incubated them, unfortunately.

Chris

I would go with a diapause. Elisa used one to hatch her clutch. However off the top of my head I could not tell you the details of the diapause she did.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

About ten days ago I had a banner week for C. brevicorne eggs, 85 in total, spanning three different clutches. One of the clutches had 36 eggs, which was amazing to me based upon my experience with them. I've had three other clutches (in 2015) that ranged from 17-23 eggs.

As luck would have it, last week one of my customers e-mailed to say his brevicorne arrived with a bunch of eggs in the bag...argh. I had an employee pack the order and would have avoided shipping a gravid female that was close to laying--but at least the customer will have fun incubating.

Anyhow, after reading through Jpowell86's great post about his crypticum (awesome), I was reminded about these eggs, and how the gravid brevicorne females all appear to have yellow heads/flaps (that's always been my experience). I was reading a chameleon book Jeremy loaned to me and I was trying to figure out the physical difference between crypticum and brevicorne, because the pictures of females of the two species looked identical to me.

Below are a few pictures of the laying(s).

Best regards,
Sam
Backwater Reptiles

This one's a shallow layer...notice the yellow flaps/head.
IMG_0371.jpg

Another...
brev.jpg

The beast clutch...
brev1.jpg

Loving it, Sam! You have had a great couple of weeks huh?!

Why not separate the eggs into a couple of "batches" and try different methods of incubation. Let's see what we can learn so more people can have success. It would benefit the species as well, by adding to the gene pool. Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom