lost my chameleon

Turtles

i am so mad at myself today i work second shift so i usually wake up round 11 i open my chameleon cage so he can walk around but today i decided to clen my turtle tanks. i drain them out my window and i live on the second story. well i forgot to shut the screen and went most of the day with it open now i cant find my cham anywhere iv looked inside and out there is a tree that come up to the window but i dont think its close enuff for him to grab also i was afraid the aluminim would be to slipery for him and maybe he fell but i couldnt fund him on the cement below i hope hes not outside but i cant find him anywhere inside i just dont know what to do anymore ive been looking for almost 3 hours now and i have to go to work in 15 minutes im just so mad at myself right now

Total Bummer Dude! Good Luck on Your Search! I have lost a few lizards and snakes in my day and they always turned up after a while.

the longer you wait, the farther he could be from your place, also remember chameleons are super good at hiding, he could be infront of yourface, who knows, or maybe he was swooped by a bird if he had gone outside, one of my friend's chameleons was swooped by an owl inside of his lanai, he was missing a screen section at the top of the birdcage (screen cage wahtever) and one at the bottom near where the cham was, he took him out left him there for a secvond and the owl swooped in from the open hole, grabbed it and made his exit out the bottom one. crazy

Yep.. i agree with Julirs. Look up high in your room.. curtain rods, dresser tops, hanging clothes.. I found my panther on the shower curtain rod once. Just be careful where you step until you find him. Try just sittting still in the room you lost him in for awhile.. you may see him moving around if you aren't digging through things startling him.

Yeah they are good at hiding. I had that happen once and felt stupid when I found him because I must have looked past him 5 times. :D Dont give up hope he will show up.

Yeah I would agree, look up in the room you lost him in, he is probably as high up as possible such as on top of a curtain rail as already mentioned.
BTW I lost one of my leopard geckos last night (my mum had accidently left his viv door open a crack), luckily I found him on the floor not far from his viv but if he had been one of my chameleons then I would have looked up first.

Ditto. Also look low. Even thought they are inclined to go up they may also look for shelter. Anytime Luna got loose on my room I would find her under a chair! Cyrus, of course goes up. I lost an arboreal (pink toe) tarantula once and was just heart sick. I searched for hours with no luck. Well, I had moved 5 hangers of clothes into the bathroom to be washed and when I opened a shirt there she was!

Do you have someone else at the house that can take an occasional peek? Best of luck, hope we will get good news soon!

Houdini Hermie, my veiled has escaped many times. Granted not with the possibility of going outside but I have sworn up and down multiple times that I have torn apart everything, looked everywhere, etc. and he's GONE only to have him show up 24-48 hours later. :eek: I'd suggest leaving his cage open with his lights on (one time Hermie went back into his cage after a day) and to stop moving things and seriously looking at this point. Personally I a) worry about moving something and trapping him and b) I think that after an exhaustive search continuing only serves to scare them into hiding. If he feels safe he'll probably come out to "chill" somewhere. I often times find hermie later sitting on the cable cord, the top of a lamp, on a shelf etc. I think that when I can't find him he's hidding UNDER something.

Also I dont' take out any trash until I find him again ... just in case. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Check up high in the house. Closets are a good hiding spot sometimes as the hanging close are sometimes easy to get a hold of, watch out as I have heard of them getting actually on the inside of close. Go outside a check with a flash light. Not sure about a flapneck but other chameleon's resting colors are easy to spot against vegatation. This is a method used to catch wild ones.

I thought for sure Fractal was outside. After a whole week, I found him high up inside. Keep looking. I did.. and I never even saw him. He was good at hiding, as chameleons should be. <G>

i lost my cham about 6weeks ago. we could not find him and gave up (outside was were he was lost) 2 and a half weeks later the old laddy next door found him in her bush scarded the crap out of her lol. but he looks great and thats surprizing because we live in mass

Turtles...did you find him?

I've been thinking of you and wondering if you ever found your cham??

Help !

hey , what if you put your chameleon on a plant outside on the balcony . &&you have a lot of vines growing around the place , where would you look ,? weve already searched under the balcony with no luck . Also , on the plant he was originally on , &&all over the vines . But its hard beecooz we have a two story house &&the vines extend from the first story up to the roof . Hes only been missing for a few hours but were getting relly worried . Any suggestions ,? Anything would relly help ,!

hey , what if you put your chameleon on a plant outside on the balcony . &&you have a lot of vines growing around the place , where would you look ,? weve already searched under the balcony with no luck . Also , on the plant he was originally on , &&all over the vines . But its hard beecooz we have a two story house &&the vines extend from the first story up to the roof . Hes only been missing for a few hours but were getting relly worried . Any suggestions ,? Anything would relly help ,!

Make a new thread rather than posting on this super old one. They can travel really far in a short period of time, not to mention birds and other predators that are out there. You may want to get some flashlights ready for when it gets dark.

id be looking high up on the roof, hope u find him, mine got out one day but he just went up on top of his cage and waited till morning, still freaked me out tho, i could imagine lossing my little guy, best of luck

Back
Top Bottom