Loss of movement in back legs

Coop

Avid Member
Pete has not been doing well. His mouth rot is gone, but as he has begun growing more due to being over a year old, his back has begun to shift to the left. It started about a week ago, when he would not use his back legs when basking, and has elevated into him dragging them behind. He has been eating, but is super underweight. First pic is a few months ago in October, last two are now.

Attachments

• 80B5CAEB-89E8-4E1E-B3A5-5CEE033A1B27.jpeg
    80B5CAEB-89E8-4E1E-B3A5-5CEE033A1B27.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 0BFA70AB-78A9-4B0E-B54E-C61390A1E978.jpeg
    0BFA70AB-78A9-4B0E-B54E-C61390A1E978.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 149
  • DE099AE0-930E-4B68-A315-A0B523F30136.jpeg
    DE099AE0-930E-4B68-A315-A0B523F30136.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 146
Pete has not been doing well. His mouth rot is gone, but as he has begun growing more due to being over a year old, his back has begun to shift to the left. It started about a week ago, when he would not use his back legs when basking, and has elevated into him dragging them behind. He has been eating, but is super underweight. First pic is a few months ago in October, last two are now.
My 5 1/2 year old veiled passed away after surgery to remove a cancerous testicle from his abdomen. This was not visible from outside of his body but the first indications of this was decreased use of his tail. He still used his legs but was clumsy and would drag his body. This is what led me to making an appointment. The vet found the mass quickly and we tried surgery. Didn’t work in his case😥. Good luck!

Small update: my parents want to wait for a vet appointment for during the week unfortunately. However, I also bring good news- he’s started moving the back legs again. I have been stimulating the legs and bulge on his back to get some blood flow, and he has begun using the legs slightly. Hopefully he continues to improve , but I will be bringing him to Dr Harkewicz no matter what.

Since Pete is not eating, I was going to make him big juice, but I am unsure about the ensure plus. Is it okay to not use it when making bug juice?

Another update: Just got off the phone with the vet. Doctor Harkewicz is on leave. They told me the best course of action is to do an emergency appointment the morning that I would take him, so I will be doing just that.
Were you able to get him to the vet? What did they say?

Quick question: Since Dr. Harkewicz is gone on leave, is it still worth going to Berkeley dog and cat? Or would it be the same if I went to a closer veterinarian? My mom is refusing to drive me if I don’t have a reasoning.(Curse being a few months from sixteen)

Quick question: Since Dr. Harkewicz is gone on leave, is it still worth going to Berkeley dog and cat? Or would it be the same if I went to a closer veterinarian? My mom is refusing to drive me if I don’t have a reasoning.(Curse being a few months from sixteen)

With Pete’s problem, you need a vet that’s very experienced with chameleons. Let me check and see if Dr. Harkewicz has trained another vet there to do all that he can do.

Another update: Pete is going to the vet at 7 tonight. It was the earliest an exotics vet would have been in. He is also using his back legs a bit, as I have been massaging the area to keep blood flow. He is severely underweight, and I hope the vet will give something to fix it. If not, I will pick up reptaboost on the way back.

Update: We got a lot from the vet. He was severely malnourished and dehydrated, and they were unsure if the back legs were neurological or from not eating. We received pain meds, injectable antibiotics, critical care, and calcium to mix into the critical care. We have another appointment in two weeks to see if we will need x-rays. The vet said his diet needed to be expanded, and my mom has finally relented and will let me get silkies, hornworms, and bsfl. Unfortunately, she will not allow dubia, but I can replace those hopefully with mantises. Thank you all for your help, and I will continue to update this thread as the situation changes.

Back
Top Bottom