Loss of Appetite..

PygoShlee

Hey all.

My little Panther chameleon (2-3months of age) used to eat between 4-7 locusts (small hoppers) a day. The shop I usually get them had run out so had to go for crickets (about 2cm) and the first couple of days he had 2-3 and now he's totally not interested.

Would it be to do with shedding maybe? He hasnt yet but thought he might drop appetite if he is going to soon.

Cheers

I've tried offering waxworms aswell and he wont touch them. He's drinking, sleeping, pooping all normally!

Supplements have all been scheduled as need be (only had him 2 weeks)

Maybe the crix are too large? Try offering the smallest ones. They do sometimes go off of their food before a shed, so that may be whats going on. Tommy had never been fed crickets and I've had him since November and so far I have managed to get him to eat 1 cricket! He prefers locusts and silkworms and the occasional waxie too!:D

I see you are also in the UK - I'm just over the water on the sunny Isle of Wight!:D

Good ol Isle Of wight :cool:

Yeah last time I went to the shop they had 1 punnet of small locusts, which instead of the usual 30 odd had 6 in there :mad:

I'm going to order some online, cheaper for more!

I'm just thinking as he's only small he could be due a shed.

Cheers!

How long is it usually they go on hunger strike when they shed? Being Sunday I cant go out and get an insects today, tommorow being the earliest. He still hasnt eaten today!

Woohoo!!! I wish my Ambilobe, Shooter, would slow down his eating before/during his shed. However, we were blessed with a food addict.

Haha I just watched the video. Funny guy. My little one was a pig but obviously last few days he's barely eaten. But I'm sure he'll soon be back to pigging out!

Keep us posted.........

Please keep us posted about his eating. In my experience chams that young maybe skip one day of eating because of a shed. Their bodies are growing so fast (hence the need to shed) that they are always hungry. I'm more inclined to think it's the change of food source. Sounds like you might get more locusts in today or tomorrow. It's still a good idea to expand their food source. I would maybe put a few crickets in with the locusts. Sounds like you have crickets now anyway. See if he will eventually eat them. Are you gutloading them the same way as you do locusts?

We've learned that our panthers LOVE horn worms. We can't even get them into the cups. They shoot them right out of our hands. We use them as their "lunch time snack" between breakfast and dinner. They usually get one nice sized one at that time. I think that helps break up the crickets for breakfast and dinner. Ours also love phoenix worms and silkies, though we're having a hard time finding silkies right now. Give some horn worms a try though, they're really beautiful worms too :)

Yeah the crickets are gutloaded the same as locusts, with Carrot, Watercress, and cucumber.

Dusted 3 x a week with Herptivite and once a week with Nutrobal.

I've been after Hornworms and Phoenix worms, but I cant seem to get any in the UK :(

I have no idea... Maybe it's the whole introduced pest thing (if they don't have them there naturally anyways.)

Yeah think they are, got some 'Nutri-Grubs' coming which are same family as Phoenix worms. Also got some Silkies coming, and 100 small Locusts.

Will be like christmas for him :D

He's eating in dribs and drabs now, sometimes he'll eat the crix, sometimes not.

Got these Nutri-Grubs, some 'Super Butterworms'.

Also got some small hoppers, yet he's still not really eating them. I was wrong, he didnt shed either. Thought he had! Unless he did it behind my back!

He's LOVING the Nutri-grubs though, but not sure if these are a decent staple food? If its anything like other grub then I dont want him eating these non stop. The Super butterworms I got are massive aswell, he wont eat them :D

He's shedding today :)

Only his back right leg though, not sure if hes shed the rest of his body. Do they eat the skin? Can't see any around the cage.

Back
Top Bottom