Losing Toenails!!

my 5 month old veiled chameleon lost three toenails (two on one back foot, and one on the other back foot). i’m not sure on how long they’ve been missing for, i just realized while handling her today. it is starting to make it hard to climb her screen. any ideas?? they don’t look like they got ripped out, i can still see a little stub of it.

If her nails are missing then they got ripped out...this can be caused my climbing on the screen or those reptile hammocks. Can you post a picture of your enclosure?
will they grow back? here is her enclosure: yes i know her hammocks are not good for her, and i am planning to take them out this weekend, just haven’t gotten time. im also getting real plants within the next few days
94E76D67-A5EA-4C3A-8BA8-EBA14A0CC0B6.jpeg
5E81EE1A-1EA6-4661-8A7B-746B032FAE2F.jpeg

Last edited:
will they grow back?
If there is enough healthy tissue left, they may—sources vary—but if they do, it'll be slow.

here is her enclosure: yes i know her hammocks are not good for her, and i am planning to take them out this weekend, just haven’t gotten time. im also getting real plants within the next few days
Dude. Please—make the time.

Also, dial gauges can be notoriously inaccurate—should be replaced with digital hygrometer/thermometers with probes. They are not expensive.

If there is enough healthy tissue left, they may—sources vary—but if they do, it'll be slow.

Dude. Please—make the time.

Also, dial gauges can be notoriously inaccurate—should be replaced with digital hygrometer/thermometers with probes. They are not expensive.
i realized this tonight, and i am removing them tomorrow, i just didn’t have time tonight with my work schedule. thank you though.

What is that blue/black bulb used for? Adding some branches of different species and diameters will be great, as well!

What is that blue/black bulb used for? Adding some branches of different species and diameters will be great, as well!
yep! i have branches i am attaching this weekend. the black/blue bulb is used for heat. and the other light - the longer one is used for light

yep! i have branches i am attaching this weekend. the black/blue bulb is used for heat. and the other light - the longer one is used for light
Are you using it at night, during the day, or both? A white light heat bulb should be used during the day with no bulbs at night, unless you have an extreme temperature drop (like into the 30s*F), in which case you'd use a ceramic heat emitter

Are you using it at night, during the day, or both? A white light heat bulb should be used during the day with no bulbs at night, unless you have an extreme temperature drop (like into the 30s*F), in which case you'd use a ceramic heat emitter
i am only using the heat lamp at night. should i purchase a white one? also what wattage is ideal?

i am only using the heat lamp at night. should i purchase a white one? also what wattage is ideal?
I agree with ERKleRose & kinyonga; basking/heat lamps should only be used during daytime; chameleons need complete darkness at night and do better with a nighttime temperature drop. If it gets too cold, a ceramic heat emitter may be used.

There is no ideal wattage. Determining the best wattage for any enclosure is always a matter of trial & error, as there are so many variables—ambient temperature, enclosure type, distance, emissivity, angle, etc.

I would start with 75W but have lower & higher wattage bulbs handy in case.
The best bulbs for basking are (in order of preference):
  1. Household incandescent bulb (not LED)
  2. Incandescent flood light (not LED and not spot light)
  3. Halogen flood light (not spot light)
A clamp light fixture is very versatile for basking lamps.

Basking lamps are best installed/mounted at an angle to produce a temperature gradient rather than a hot-spot.

1620893234799.png
Also, aiming the basking light so the three types of light can be arranged in a sort of Venn diagram allows your chameleon to seek out the light combination it needs/wants.

1623159633776.png

Last edited:
Ok well everyone else seems to have answered everything lol. One thing is plants. I will try to find a plant resource page for you but some good plants are pothos, umbrella plant, mass cane, spider plant, money tree, hibiscus.

Ok well everyone else seems to have answered everything lol. One thing is plants. I will try to find a plant resource page for you but some good plants are pothos, umbrella plant, mass cane, spider plant, money tree, hibiscus.
I didn't realize plant resources were requested.
These lists are chameleon-safe:
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://www.madcham.de/en/pflanzen-fuers-terrarium/
https://www.chameleons.info/l/safe-and-unsafe-plants/
https://www.chameleonschool.com/safe-plants-for-chameleons/

IC. Sorry—misunderstood—mea culpa.
It's nice to have some choices anyway. One of these days, I (or someone) should maybe combine the info on those lists (giving credit) so they're all in one place. The list in the Resources section is "being rebuilt", but it's been that way as long as I can 'member.

Back
Top Bottom