Losing nails

Britt_12

My Jackson chameleon, Chaz , is 8years old and has been climbing on his screen cage resulting in losing about 3 nails. Will they grow back? How do I get him to stop? And why is he hanging out near the bottom at times?

549D185B-0BDB-4B3D-89A9-E268BE0215AC.jpeg
BE1ACC66-F72D-42B9-BFE4-45FD5322CA9E.jpeg
B457ACB7-42F9-417B-A9B9-57C44C688229.jpeg
Here is a picture of his habitat along with the nails he lost on his front and back

Wow 8 years old! No I’m afraid they don’t grow back and there isn’t much you can do to keep him from climbing on the screen unless there is something that has changed in your husbandry that is now driving him to escape.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.The

You can try to rearrange a few vines if they have been in the same spot for a long time and that could make him more interested in climbing them instead of the screen, but not sure if that would work. As for the nails, they most likely will not grow back. Just be careful that the area doesn't get infected.

Wow 8 years old! No I’m afraid they don’t grow back and there isn’t much you can do to keep him from climbing on the screen unless there is something that has changed in your husbandry that is now driving him to escape.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
He is a Jackson chameleon, male, 8months old, have had him for about 1 month

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Handle about 2-3 times a week

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Feed him crickets, 4-6 a day, every morning

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Repti calcium over all crickets once I get them

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a lister on at all times along with a chameleon dripper plant constiently going

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Pee is white
Poop is solid and dark

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Screen and size medium
Going to switch to a large glass with mesh
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
A uv light that came with the chameleon cage it is on 7am to 7pm

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
75-80F I use a reptile temp plus humidity

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Humidity is 55-75 from using a mister

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Live plants- all pothos

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Not near fans or vents
The height is 5ft 5 in from what it sits on
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?
In my office away from high traffic

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Hanging out on floor of cage
Also he only shedded around his face and it took about 4 days to complete
6BAA2684-6062-4AAE-8783-19D2EA63A4A8.jpeg

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.The

Back
Top Bottom