Loose feet, missing at times

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - male panther going on 6 months
  • Handling - twice for about 5 seconds
  • Feeding - oh roaches, dubia, hornworms, crickets, bsfl, bottleflies, sticks; as much as he can eat in morning. Gutload with bug buffet and huge blend of frozen veggies, seeds, nuts, citrus fruit, squash
  • Supplements - sticky tongues d3-2x a month, sticky tongues no d3-daily, reptivite 1x a month, herptivite 1x a month
  • Watering - misting about 5 min 3x a day, haven't seen him drink much lately, figured he does it when I'm gone
  • Fecal Description - regular solid dropping, gooey white urates lately(I have been feeding lots of hornworms to aid hydration) no fecal yet
  • History - only had him a couple weeks so far

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 18x18x36
  • Lighting - reptisun uvb 5.0, jungle dawn 40w grow light, 65w basking floodlight
  • Temperature - got A.C. so it's down to 83-84- temp gun ambient is around 75 max 70 lowest
  • Humidity - 50-70% tons of live plants in Chan room keep it at 50
  • Plants - umbrella pothos bromeliads dracaena spiderplant money tree uhh I think that's it
  • Placement - he's eye level with me around 6'5 maybe higher. Next to window
  • Location - Pennsylvania

Current Problem - have seen him miss feeders with his tongue a few times, but eats a lot still. When I first got him I THINK I caught him napping during the day, but that was after 2 days stuck in a box and haven't seen it since. He gets really close to his feeders to eat which is kind of odd. I also have seen him rest with his feet loose. His grip looks weak. I know they will rest a foot or two at times(my other guy rests a foot on occasion, but it's much more natural and his grip seems much stronger). He just isn't as active as my other guy and I can't tell if it's normal or not. The tongue and feet thing had me worried, I know those are possible MBD signs, but Idk how he could have it... I'll get a picture tomorrow for sure.

Nope that was my other cham, it went away awhile back. he's been good. Had a visit and fecal as well with no issue.

Last edited:
I think you have good reason to be concerned. Is his grip loose while handling? When you see him resting a leg is it always the same one? There are several conditions that could be causing pain or discomfort, but I've never experienced that personally with a chameleon so young. Do you have a good veterinarian experienced with chameleons that can help if needed? I'm not necessarily making that recommendation, but it wouldn't hurt to be prepared just in case. Hopefully someone else can offer more helpful advice.

It's not a solution to your issues, but I would begin working on adjustments to your watering methods to ensure he stays properly hydrated.

I'll have to take better note of which he's resting. It doesn't seem like any in particular, it's more like he's lazily laying on the branch with loose grips all around. Today he was catching crickets from pretty far away though. When he's climbing he seems fine. My vet has worked with Chams and exotics. I'll take him if I see anything getting worse for sure.

Here's a few pictures I just got. He doesn't dangle his feet. More of loosely holding on, but maybe that's just resting. Haven't seen him miss a bug lately either, but he still gets up close. I Can't seem to catch him resting because he goes on alert when I open the cage. I'll keep trying

Attachments

• 20170524_135710.jpg
    20170524_135710.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 20170524_135739.jpg
    20170524_135739.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 20170524_135651.jpg
    20170524_135651.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 140
I've only had him a few weeks. I'm comparing it to my other chameleon. He doesn't seem as active, although I can't remember what my other panther was like at that age.

Here's a picture of how he sits, maybe I'm just paranoid he just seems lazy. He hangs around the basking spot most of the day.

Attachments

• 20170526_124502.jpg
    20170526_124502.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 97
So today he went up to a butterworms and just bit it. Now I'm worried, I've never seen my other cham do this. He did just shed fully over night which is the fastest I've seen a shed happen. He's been just staying in the basking light not eating much, but I wonder if the shed has anything to do with that.

So strangely I saw something sticking out of my chams butt... I can't tell if he got a fiber from the branch stuck when he pooped or whatever. I'll post a picture. He hasn't been eating a whole lot, but has been drinking. I noticed his poop looks normal, but one side of it was a lighter brown and the other dark Brown? He just shed so I'm thinking that's why he's been a little weird? Should I take him to the vet or wait a little and see. He ate a 4-5 blue bottleflies that I saw today. He's had a hornworm and a couple of crickets in there the last couple days that he hasn't touched. Could someone help me out pleaae?

Attachments

• 20170528_134504.jpg
    20170528_134504.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom