Looks like we've made it...

ChamelaChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
6 months ago, we adopted Carmelo. All we had to do was show the animal shelter a picture of the enclosure he would call home. Less than 5 minutes in his new home, I new we had a serious problem - 12x12x12. He was longer than the glass enclosure. We thought, OMG! he likes us because he wanted out. NOPE!]
Screenshot_20230401_122714_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230401_122827_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230401_122843_Gallery.jpg
Fast forward found CF on day five. You probably saved this guys life. We were headed for disaster. Overdosing him on D3, fake plants, ropes, unlimited feeders, wrong uvb, and thought he was Houdini because he would escape the glass trap whenever the door was opened. TODAY- We can't bribe him out. He will not come out for hornworms. Now, we know he likes us. He never wants out. We gently, force him out once a week for cleaning, fresh air, and real sunlight.
Charmelo's Favorite Things:
Money Tree leaves
Pothos leaves
Hibiscus leaves
Basking Temp 83F
Hornworm treats
Outside time
Branch marching
CF - Thanks again for your guidance, honesty, consistency, attention to detail, and stick-with- it-ness (not giving up) You helped me calm myself ( cause ya'll know I was a total wreck- panic striken). I couldn't sleep for fear that Carmelo was not going to be Ok. I'm glad I found you before disaster struck. I was unaware that I was overdosing Carmelo with D3 suggested by the pet store. Look at him now! Yes, @Beman he's 218g from 232g. He almost has those skinny Chameleon legs. We are going to maintain his feeding schedule in hopes that his casque puffiness decreases. His cheek and leg size has really decreased and he has definition in his spin and rib area.

20230401_125340.jpg
20230401_125403.jpg
20230401_121409.jpg
20230401_121409.jpg

6 months ago, we adopted Carmelo. All we had to do was show the animal shelter a picture of the enclosure he would call home. Less than 5 minutes in his new home, I new we had a serious problem - 12x12x12. He was longer than the glass enclosure. We thought, OMG! he likes us because he wanted out. NOPE!]View attachment 336768View attachment 336769View attachment 336770Fast forward found CF on day five. You probably saved this guys life. We were headed for disaster. Overdosing him on D3, fake plants, ropes, unlimited feeders, wrong uvb, and thought he was Houdini because he would escape the glass trap whenever the door was opened. TODAY- We can't bribe him out. He will not come out for hornworms. Now, we know he likes us. He never wants out. We gently, force him out once a week for cleaning, fresh air, and real sunlight.
Charmelo's Favorite Things:
Money Tree leaves
Pothos leaves
Hibiscus leaves
Basking Temp 83F
Hornworm treats
Outside time
Branch marching
CF - Thanks again for your guidance, honesty, consistency, attention to detail, and stick-with- it-ness (not giving up) You helped me calm myself ( cause ya'll know I was a total wreck- panic striken). I couldn't sleep for fear that Carmelo was not going to be Ok. I'm glad I found you before disaster struck. I was unaware that I was overdosing Carmelo with D3 suggested by the pet store. Look at him now! Yes, @Beman he's 218g from 232g. He almost has those skinny Chameleon legs. We are going to maintain his feeding schedule in hopes that his casque puffiness decreases. His cheek and leg size has really decreased and he has definition in his spin and rib area.

View attachment 336771View attachment 336772View attachment 336773View attachment 336773
Such a heartwarming story! I can't bear those pics of him in tiny cage...

Such a heartwarming story! I can't bear those pics of him in tiny cage...
I was definitely teary eyed looking at those videos, he was suffering. He was destined for death. I was so mis-informed. That's how newbies get it wrong. It was really bad. The Animal Shelter didn't say one word so I thought my set up was fine. The good news is he only stayed 1 overnight in that death trap. It was too small, he was banging against the glass. He's 19 inches long end to end.ķ I immediately ordered the reptibreeze 2x2x4 that morning and it was delivered the next day. I then went to the pet store and they sold me all of the wrong stuff, including calcium w/D3 and Reptivite w/D3. I thought I had it right- wrong. At his first Vet visit, the vet said he was a girl and I could feed unlimited feeders. That's when I sought out a second opinion, found CF to confirm sex. I panicked, trying to get all of the right stuff and wondering if Carmelo was gonna survive our learning curve. I don’t know who was more fearful, me or my Granddaughter. We were constantly screaming in fear and could not sleep. The beginning was just all bad. Funny thing is I was not reptile friendly. I forced my self to hold Carmelo. I used to sing to him (in my horrible singing voice) because I didn't want him to close his eyes during the day time. It worked. Today, my Granddaughter and I provide 50/50 care and he is the grumpest, happiest guy we know. My husband often says, your dinosaur 🦕 wants you. My mom (82 ) calls everyday to check on the, "ugly lizzard." 🤣 Carmelo is family.

I want ya'll to know it was really, really tough. I could not adopt Carmelo and allow him to suffer. My Granddaughter wanted to take him back to the shelter, she didn't want anything we did or didn't do to hurt him.I told her no, their enclosure was only a few inches taller than ours. That's why he was walking on the floor for the entire 1 hour visit. I really appreciate this forum. I really do. Even the feeders- I don't like creepy crawlers, crickets, roaches, hornworms or superworms. Silkworms are scary looking and I was afraid to open the BSFL, I didn't want then to fly out.🤣I threw them away. Now, we are so confident in caring for Carmelo. My family knows what he needs to be happy and healthy.

Great job hun. And this is why I have stayed here helping new keepers. For stories like yours. ❤️

Fabulous on the weight loss. With him being 19 inches long I would try to target closer to 200 grams and see where his fat pads are then.

Back
Top Bottom