Looking to ID enclosure

Well that will be at least a few weeks. Waiting for Dragon ledges, hydration mounts and a drainage tray. I also still need a stand for the enclosure which I am still deciding on. Once it is fully set up I plan to run it for a few weeks to get parameters set and know exactly what the environment is before settling on a chameleon species. My preference is a Jacksons but I need to make sure I can provide the proper night temperature drop.

Well that will be at least a few weeks. Waiting for Dragon ledges, hydration mounts and a drainage tray. I also still need a stand for the enclosure which I am still deciding on. Once it is fully set up I plan to run it for a few weeks to get parameters set and know exactly what the environment is before settling on a chameleon species. My preference is a Jacksons but I need to make sure I can provide the proper night temperature drop.
Not sure if you found this link but it is really helpful for fully setting up the ledges. https://dragonstrand.com/getting-the-most-from-your-dragon-strand-dragon-ledges/

And I love this one as well for the entire process of setting up a 2x2x4 properly. Lots of wonderful tips especially if this is the first one you have set up. https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/

Not sure if you found this link but it is really helpful for fully setting up the ledges. https://dragonstrand.com/getting-the-most-from-your-dragon-strand-dragon-ledges/

And I love this one as well for the entire process of setting up a 2x2x4 properly. Lots of wonderful tips especially if this is the first one you have set up. https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/
Yes I have been studying both the Chameleon Academy site and the dragon stand site pretty extensively. Great information on both sites. As well as here, of course! BTW I got the following at Lowes today. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kitchen-Cl...Esd3ZMvdV_yrrxPFughoCfzIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
The kitchen sink bases they have are 35 inches high so the enclosure would be 7 feet tall. The above one is only 30 high and has a functioning drawer at the top rather than just the drawer face like the sink base. It's only 2x2 feet but it should be fine. Thanks again for all the inputs it really helps!

Yes I have been studying both the Chameleon Academy site and the dragon stand site pretty extensively. Great information on both sites. As well as here, of course! BTW I got the following at Lowes today. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kitchen-Cl...Esd3ZMvdV_yrrxPFughoCfzIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
The kitchen sink bases they have are 35 inches high so the enclosure would be 7 feet tall. The above one is only 30 high and has a functioning drawer at the top rather than just the drawer face like the sink base. It's only 2x2 feet but it should be fine. Thanks again for all the inputs it really helps!
That is actually a really good idea for the cabinet... Consider retro fitting the pan with a drain connected to PVC then you can have it actually drain on its own into a bucket in the cabinet.

Measure your ceiling height too. You want to make sure you have clearance for your lighting on top.

You are doing a great job learning and implementing it into your set up. It is so important that people do this and it is wonderful to see someone like you doing it the right way.

Once it is fully set up with plants and hydration running I plan on giving it at least a month to check parameters and get a good handle on temperatures and humidity levels. Then I will make a decision on what type of Chameleon to get.

That is actually a really good idea for the cabinet... Consider retro fitting the pan with a drain connected to PVC then you can have it actually drain on its own into a bucket in the cabinet.

Measure your ceiling height too. You want to make sure you have clearance for your lighting on top.

You are doing a great job learning and implementing it into your set up. It is so important that people do this and it is wonderful to see someone like you doing it the right way.
With a sink base you could easily just go straight down from the middle of the drain pan but I will have to go from the back and then into a container in the bottom but that won't be a problem!

With a sink base you could easily just go straight down from the middle of the drain pan but I will have to go from the back and then into a container in the bottom but that won't be a problem!
With the pan your getting... It is raised in the center so you can set a plant on it. When you get the pan you will see the issue with adding a drain. You have to do shims to angle the pan so water does not get caught in other sections of the pan.

With the pan your getting... It is raised in the center so you can set a plant on it. When you get the pan you will see the issue with adding a drain. You have to do shims to angle the pan so water does not get caught in other sections of the pan.
I figured I would have to do some modifications. I'll want to shim it so it tilts slightly toward the back. One thing I already thought of was to have a brace from the back edge that helps to keep the enclosure stable with that backward tilt. Just a 1x3 or 4 sticking up from the back in the middle to give a little support to the backwards tilt. Of course this is only theoretical until I get the pan and begin testing!

I found this in relation to drains in a tile shower stall:

"Step 1: Floor Tile Must Slope to the Drain​

In a stall shower, the plumbing code requires the floor to be sloped one quarter (1/4) of an inch per foot in order to carry the water effectively to the drain.
  • This slope, according to the TCNA Handbook is called “sloped fill” or commonly known as the pre-slope. This sloped material is installed under the pan liner (waterproofing membrane).
  • With a tape measure, determine the distance between the drain and the farthest corner of the shower. As seen in the photo below, this distance is 26".
  • Divide that distance in feet (inches divided by 12) by four to find how much slope you need. 26" divided by 12 = 2.167 divided by 4 = 0.5417 or slightly more than 1/2" of slope.
  • Mark the height of the slope along the wall with a pencil and install the sloped fill.."
So with a 24 inch enclosure measurement the stated 1/2 inch slope should be OK . So if I shim the pan up 1/2 inch from the front, and then raise the back of the enclosure (but not the pan too) 1/2 inch up the enclosure will still be level but the pan will have enough backward slope to have the water drain to the back where I can install a drain pipe. Theoretically, of course!

I figured I would have to do some modifications. I'll want to shim it so it tilts slightly toward the back. One thing I already thought of was to have a brace from the back edge that helps to keep the enclosure stable with that backward tilt. Just a 1x3 or 4 sticking up from the back in the middle to give a little support to the backwards tilt. Of course this is only theoretical until I get the pan and begin testing!
Right just play with it. You totally understand what I am saying though. I think you will do great figuring it out.

I got it to work on my 2x2x4 to have the tilt I wanted. I was unable to have a drain though due to my stand. But the angle made wet vacuuming much easier for me. With my larger cages I could not because they are made with a different drip pan. So I gave up because I could not get my shims set in just right.

Right just play with it. You totally understand what I am saying though. I think you will do great figuring it out.

I got it to work on my 2x2x4 to have the tilt I wanted. I was unable to have a drain though due to my stand. But the angle made wet vacuuming much easier for me. With my larger cages I could not because they are made with a different drip pan. So I gave up because I could not get my shims set in just right.
Exactly. I am purposely not even looking at Chameleon breeders or places to purchase. Concentrating on getting a well functioning enclosure set up and parameters Dailed in after that. Then I can go about deciding on an inhabitant. My goal is to let the enclosure tell me what type of Chameleon I should get.

Exactly. I am purposely not even looking at Chameleon breeders or places to purchase. Concentrating on getting a well functioning enclosure set up and parameters Dailed in after that. Then I can go about deciding on an inhabitant. My goal is to let the enclosure tell me what type of Chameleon I should get.
Ok you may be my favorite new member/keeper! THANK YOU for thinking in this way. So many people do not and because of it so many chameleons suffer.

20210616_174704.jpg
20210616_174711.jpg
20210616_174718.jpg
20210616_175117.jpg
20210616_175123.jpg

Ok got it wrong! The cabinet is 35 inches high. When the enclosure is on the cabinet it is about 70 inches to the top. From the top to the ceiling is almost exactly 24 inches. So I guess a 3 Step folding stool is also a must have! Can't really start assembling it yet. The cabinet has to be finished and I have to wait for the Dragon Strand drain pan and ledges to come in. I also need to move some stuff around so I have a place for it where it has to be placed. Onward and upward!

Ok you may be my favorite new member/keeper! THANK YOU for thinking in this way. So many people do not and because of it so many chameleons suffer.

Thanks! Just makes sense to me at least for Old World Chameleons. Once I started reading Chameleon Academy and started coming here I realized there is a lot more involved than for my Crested Gecko and green tree frog (in separate enclosures). Don't want any critter suffering because I didn't do my homework. Truth to tell I'm really hoping I can get the humidity and night time temperature drop to get a male Jacksons, but I also won't be disappointed to have a Panther or Veiled either.

YES! Just got an email from Dragon Strand and my accessory pack (drain pan, Dragon Ledges, and hydration mounts) are on the way! Going to have to get some work done this weekend on the stand and the enclosure!

Back
Top Bottom