Looking for veiled chameleon

Hello!! We are planning on getting my son (10) a veiled chameleon for Christmas. We are looking for an actual breeder in SWFL rather than a pet store. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated!!
@jannb veiled are amazing . She is not a breeder but breeds to continue her line . She may be looking for homes . You May try pming Jann .

There’s a lady in Tampa, right now looking for a home for her male veiled which is about a year old. Chameleons are not pets for children but if you take full responsibility, that will work. My eggs will hatch in April and the babies will be ready to go end of June or first of July.

Please be sure to do lots of research. As was said above, chameleons are not really pets for children. They arent pets that you can hold or play with, they are just to look at. Their needs are very specific and they hide any sickness until it is usually too late.
If you're looking for a good reptile for a child / beginner bearded dragons are great!

Yeah so I go back and forth on this topic. While I do not think they are a "pet" for most kids and I group my 15 year old into this category as well. I do think that if the cham is being primarily taken care of and provided for by the parent then it is not a big deal with the child thinking it is theirs. I will say they are expensive and to provide for them so they thrive is specific. If it is something you want your child to be able to hold I urge you not to do a cham though. My Veiled was the sweetest boy until about 6 weeks ago when his entire personality changed at 14 months old. Now he has his moments of kindness but most are aggressive and him showing me that he is the boss. Here is a good link https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/purchasing/ and this one https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Please be sure to do lots of research. As was said above, chameleons are not really pets for children. They arent pets that you can hold or play with, they are just to look at. Their needs are very specific and they hide any sickness until it is usually too late.
If you're looking for a good reptile for a child / beginner bearded dragons are great!
This is one reason I suggest @jannb . I’m absolutely not saying no one else can teach because so many can but for one of her babies to go to a forever home they have to be prepared , ins , and if anything was to happen she will take her babies back . I know others but not in Florida .

Flchams is a good place for purchase but as stated above, they require care beyond what a child can give.
Please do your research on chams and know what you are getting into as far as initial and continuous cost involved before making a decision.

All the above replies are by folks who know far more than I. That being said, I see no particular problem with a child having a chameleon, so long as the parents are ready to pick up the slack if/when the child becomes interested in something else. Veileds are a forgiving species, but I’d certainly inform myself about proper husbandry techniques.

Yeah so I go back and forth on this topic. While I do not think they are a "pet" for most kids and I group my 15 year old into this category as well. I do think that if the cham is being primarily taken care of and provided for by the parent then it is not a big deal with the child thinking it is theirs. I will say they are expensive and to provide for them so they thrive is specific. If it is something you want your child to be able to hold I urge you not to do a cham though. My Veiled was the sweetest boy until about 6 weeks ago when his entire personality changed at 14 months old. Now he has his moments of kindness but most are aggressive and him showing me that he is the boss. Here is a good link https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/purchasing/ and this one https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
I completely agree Hunter has been keeping beardies and geckos since forever . He also gave at least 50% of the care to the babies when hatched . He is an amazing keeper at only 16 . It’s up to the parent to be sure of that and provide all that is needed as well .

Back
Top Bottom