Looking for some ideas for this panther

jrh3

Established Member
Ok i sold this guy to a local about 6 months ago, he is a blue bar ambiloble and was in perfect health, the owner sent be this and said as of this week he went down hill.

Look at the pics and tell me what he should do?

Attachments

• Alfred1.jpg
    Alfred1.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Alfred2 (2).jpg
    Alfred2 (2).jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 163
I would be telling the guy to get the animal to a Vet and I would go over and review his husbandry. My first thought is that his eyes do not look just "normally closed". Is the guy using a compact bulb? He has not skinnied up much yet, so there could be a good chance to save him. After 6 months I would not think you would be obligated financially since so much could be the owners fault, but I would say you are obligated to help with advice.

It looks like he has a dried up sperm pllug sticking out of his vent. He also looks dehydrated. He needs to get him to drink ASAP and take him to the vet. His fat stores are depleted and his limbs look skinny. It looks like he has not been eating well. For the short term until vet care he should try misting him with warm water either in the shower or with a pump sprayer to get him to drink. If he will eat, get him some hornworms or silkworms to aid hydration. This is definitely a vet visit and a husbandry check to make sure he has the correct lighting, supplements, gutload, and getting water properly.

yeah he only wants help, i gave him a care sheet and sold him the bulbs and complete setup so all i can think of is it being is no feeding enough or his temps and hydration. He had a parsons that died also I told him to look for a vet and he will update me in a few days.:confused:

Oh my god you must feel terrible knowing that one of your little dudes is sick!:( I know I would feel so awful. Poor little guy, I hope he makes it and pulls through.

Oh my god you must feel terrible knowing that one of your little dudes is sick!:( I know I would feel so awful. Poor little guy, I hope he makes it and pulls through.

It is awful to sell a cham then it not be cared for. I sold a pair of quads to another forum member and he pretty much cooked both of them. I still feel awful that it happened. My poor babies.:(

There may be a lot more going on, but it seems like food and water were not provided to the extent they should have been. Which is a shame, because it takes 5 minutes to give an animal food and water. I would be fuming!

yeah he only wants help, i gave him a care sheet and sold him the bulbs and complete setup so all i can think of is it being is no feeding enough or his temps and hydration. He had a parsons that died also I told him to look for a vet and he will update me in a few days.:confused:

He lost a parson's also? While all chams deserve proper treatment regardless of value, that is sickening and smacks of someone who shouldn't have any species in their care. I'm curious, what was the light you sold to him? Do you know if it was one of the "safe" cfs? Doesn't guarrantee he used it however.

now i do tend to over think stuff and what im about to say could be a farse. ive notice with panthers at 6-12 months and on your husbandry needs to be exact. up to 6 months or so a panther needs the basics but you can be somewhat careless. now with that observation. this guy could have multiple issues.

1)incorrect lighting or the uvb bulbs are old.
2)multivitamin ask if he has been trying to eat the plants in the cage. also ask if he even uses a good multivitamin. reptocals multi is a good one.
3)from the pics it looks like he has a eye infection.
4)dried sperm plug
5)dehydrated. needs more water sources. spray longer and provide a dripper.

ive seen panthers at this age with this same issue. where they are fine and then just go down hill at 6 months or so. it always ends up being from the lack of vitamins, gutloading, water and lighting.

Yeah i stressed all this stuff to him when i sold him, the lights were 5.0 reptisun. 18"

This is the first of many i have ever had die or had a problem with that i have sold to someone. But i do believe 95% of the problem, under fed and not enough hydration. But he told me that he looks good just weak, so he thought the pics he sent me were of a good looking cham.

Yeah i stressed all this stuff to him when i sold him, the lights were 5.0 reptisun. 18"

This is the first of many i have ever had die or had a problem with that i have sold to someone. But i do believe 95% of the problem, under fed and not enough hydration. But he told me that he looks good just weak, so he thought the pics he sent me were of a good looking cham.

He needs to be slapped so that he can see that that is not a healthy Cham. :( Sorry for being so direct but it saddens me so much to see a Cham in that condition when given the right cage and supplies, it's actually not hard at all to take care of one Chameleon. I think he's just lazy... Again, sorry and hope the dude realizes the severity of the situation and acts on it.

Man what a shame. He's beautiful male ambi too. Sounds like the buyer has more $$$ than common sense. Cant he see the poor things dehydrated? I can look at his front limbs and see that he's not muscular, like he should be. You can see that he's not been eatting/fed. Im guessing he only feeds cricks and he probably doesnt gutload at all.

a vet really needs to see this cham. in the meantime i would change uvb (its been six months). make sure he has correct basking temps and force reptaid, water and a pinch of reptocal multi. also have him put him in the shower with warm water mist to help the eye.

a bit off topic...is this a cham you hatched? if so can i see pics of the male and female?

Man what a shame. He's beautiful male ambi too. Sounds like the buyer has more $$$ than common sense. Cant he see the poor things dehydrated? I can look at his front limbs and see that he's not muscular, like he should be. You can see that he's not been eatting/fed. Im guessing he only feeds cricks and he probably doesnt gutload at all.

Yeah and i dont think he knows the difference in a healthy chameleon, and a sick chameleon. He said he has never Supplemented since he got him, after i recommended repcal multi vit. and calcium. He is hurt because he doesn't understang what he did wrong but common since you should know if your pet is under fed. :confused:

a vet really needs to see this cham. in the meantime i would change uvb (its been six months). make sure he has correct basking temps and force reptaid, water and a pinch of reptocal multi. also have him put him in the shower with warm water mist to help the eye.

a bit off topic...is this a cham you hatched? if so can i see pics of the male and female?

I actually got him from a member on here as a baby, I was gonna use as a breeder and make a change in the local so decided to sell. If your looking for one like that there are a few of his brothers and sisters on this forum. He is a Blue Bar. His mother is from the Cham company with intense blue-par brothers and the sire is from a line that was bred for high orange coloration from Reptirack.

I'd take the poor thing back and never seell another one to that particular individual... he's doing something wrong and the cham is paying for it!

He needs to be slapped so that he can see that that is not a healthy Cham. :( Sorry for being so direct but it saddens me so much to see a Cham in that condition when given the right cage and supplies, it's actually not hard at all to take care of one Chameleon. I think he's just lazy... Again, sorry and hope the dude realizes the severity of the situation and acts on it.

At the very least give him some links to pics of HEALTHY panthers at this age!!! If he can't see the difference then chams are simply not a good choice for him to keep. Now if he wants to feel hurt fine...swallow your pride, learn the lesson, and do what it takes to save this little guy or give him to someone who will.

Yeah and i dont think he knows the difference in a healthy chameleon, and a sick chameleon. He said he has never Supplemented since he got him, after i recommended repcal multi vit. and calcium. He is hurt because he doesn't understang what he did wrong but common since you should know if your pet is under fed. :confused:

Ive been in a similar situation before. Ive sold at shows in the past when I was breeding yrs ago. I had someone call me 3-4 months later and ask me why their cham didnt turn out to look like the sire and accusing me of selling them a runt because it wasnt growing at a normal rate.

I explained that chams grow at different rates and some will hit a growth spurt then maybe not grow much for a cpl of months then they just seem to sprout again. I asked if they still had their care sheet I gave them that they could refer too. They actually told me they threw that away on their way out of the show! I had gone over everything with them at show they said and they could remember everything I said. (I could have smacked them through the phone) I asked how they had my contact number. They said they kept my business card so they could buy more chams from me in the future. Yet they threw away the care sheet! I explained I could send them another and I gave them the number for my personal vet who also bred chams at that time. They didnt want to spend the money on a vet visit, they thought I should come over and tell them what was wrong with their cham. I asked for pics of their setup and of their husbandry practices so I could help them. Nevergot a response to either request. Some people just shouldnt buy animals. (And I tried to educate people before buying and had a compehensive 2-3 page care sheet I carefully typed up for every potential buyer.

Back
Top Bottom