Looking For Plants

Texas Panther Man

I hate early spring, Ive been trying to find some approp sized schefflerra for some cages for 2 wks. I guess Im going to end up cutting down some nice sized big plants I already have. Which sucks because I babied them all winter and they grew quite a bit. I was really saving them for my 4ft cages. But I cant find any 2-3 ft schefflerra yet. They will have a boatload later in the yr. Ugh, so aggravating......

I know what you mean. I got so fed up with trying to find good sizes plants. I just gave up and went to Garden Ridge and got all fake plants. They are so easy to take care of. And if they get dirty I can super clean them with out fear of killing the plant.

I will never buy live again.

I was at Home Depot a couple weeks ago and they had lots of 2 foot tall Scheffllera. They were only about $9. You might want to check there (or Lowe's) if you haven't already.

If you happen to have a big schefflerra, you can actually cut the stalks off and stick the cut off stalks in in a new pot. As long as you water the cuttings regularly the cut off part will start to grow its own roots and become its own plant.

You can also do this with a photos vine

I discovered the shefflerra doing this by accident. I had cut off a stalk and jammed it into a pot for a temporary cage. 3 weeks later the plant had not wilted like I had expected.. I pulled it out of the put and saw little roots growing out of where I cut it. :eek:

So now I can get a big shefflerella and cut and repot the stalks and make 4 or 5 smaller plants out of the big one.

I have tried this with ficus too and it has worked but not as well

If you happen to have a big schefflerra, you can actually cut the stalks off and stick the cut off stalks in in a new pot. As long as you water the cuttings regularly the cut off part will start to grow its own roots and become its own plant.

You can also do this with a photos vine

I discovered the shefflerra doing this by accident. I had cut off a stalk and jammed it into a pot for a temporary cage. 3 weeks later the plant had not wilted like I had expected.. I pulled it out of the put and saw little roots growing out of where I cut it. :eek:

So now I can get a big shefflerella and cut and repot the stalks and make 4 or 5 smaller plants out of the big one.

I have tried this with ficus too and it has worked but not as well

I actually did that with a baby cage i made up for some babies I got last month. I cut some scheff and potted them in some small cups with some ivy stuck in there also. Everythings still alive and seems to be growing.

I just hated chopping up some nice plants I have.:rolleyes: But I havent had luck at any of the big box stores. Im not paying the garden center prices for tropicals. They wanted 25.00 for a ficus. You gotta be kidding me...

I know what you mean schefflerra is my new favorite plant. I waited around 4 weeks before I found some more at Lowes and Home Depot. Maybe you can ask them to put in an order for them.

I found my umbrella plant at Lowes and its like 3 feet tall. the shortest they had was 2 feet. try at different Lowes, other than that good luck.

Broke down and found some ficus for $15 each at local garden center. Went to 2 lowes around me with no luck for schefflerra other than little 6-8" plants.
I just couldnt make myself destroy 2 great looking plants to fit in the 36" cages i have for my females. ;)

Back
Top Bottom