Looking for interview participants for Mini-Ethnography assignment

Syn

Avid Member
I have a mini-ethnography essay due 11/1. Between family-crises, soccer, and other classes, I am a bit behind on this project. I'll try to explain this as best as I can...

Short version: I have an essay due next Tuesday. The paper is a mini-ethnography assignment. Basically, we are to describe a "subculture," (in this case, the reptile community) and write a five to six page research paper (requirements below). I would like to interview a few members of several forums for reference and quotes.

Long version: *deep breath*

Going with what was stated above, one of the main requirements of my essay is that I "help an outsider get more of a sense of that [Reptile-hobbyists/enthusiasts] culture than they had before."

Other requirements:
-Have a controlling idea (more complicated/diverse than previously thought?)
-What are the primary beliefs of this "culture?" (Down with PetSmart/Co! kidding)
-How is it [I would assume the beliefs are "it"] communicated in speech, visuals, etc?
-How does this group affect or reflect assumptions about its culture?
How does the group complicate assumptions on the culture (example listed on paper: "if you were studying English professors, might you be surprised to see that over lunch they talked about things other than books or grammar?")

If you would like to be harassed *ahem* I mean interviewed, my professor has required that we include your contact information on our works cited page.
It is APA formatting—I will look into if pseudonyms/handles are acceptable—so I will have to get back to everyone on what I will need.

I would like my interviewee base to be diverse, having solely keepers and not business owners/breeders may not give enough "insight."

Warning: Because I've missed a few classes I am out of the loop as far as this paper goes. I may have to update this thread as the days roll on. Hopefully I am doing this right...

I would like to interview the following "types" of people (I will try to edit this post as I find people):
-Large-scale ("Big Name") breeder (wholesale and non-wholesale)
-Keeper (non-breeder)
-Breeder (private, non-business)
-Petstore employee (owner, associate, etc.)
-Retail Petstore employee (manager would be a plus)
-Forum-lurker!! (non-keeper, but reads for information) -- this would be a big one, an outside viewpoint from someone who doesn't specifically keep reptiles (and has not in the past) with a somewhat unbiased viewpoint would be of phenomenal value in this paper... I think.

I can do phone calls but prefer text-based interviews. Text-based interviews would make it nearly-impossible to misquote an individual via text (provided it wasn't edited later on).

----------------------------------------

Here is a short “qualification” questionnaire/survey.
Short answers are preferred for qualification, just in case I can’t use your help (too many of x, etc.)…
I wouldn’t want anyone to put a lot of effort into something that won’t be used, I’d feel terrible!

Having said that, if you do “qualify,” feel free to come back and elaborate!

Qualification Questionnaire:

Do I have your permission to use any answers/statements in my Mini-Ethnography Essay?
Example: Yes, and I am willing to provide contact information.

Describe yourself and/or your role in the reptile community:
Example: I am a reptile hobbyist that has considered starting a business, but due to financial reasons, I have been unable to attain my goal.

Referring back to the previous question (“Describe yourself …”),
Did you decide to enter the reptile hobby on your own, or were there outside factors that persuaded you? If you are not a member of the reptile hobby, elaborate if possible. J
Example: It all started after my parents bought a bearded dragon … [etc.]

What are the drawbacks to keeping the pets you do? What are the rewards?
Example: A drawback to keeping [x] is having to clean [x] cages a week. It is time consuming. The rewards are experience, conservation, and meeting new people with similar interests.

Have had one PM about the interview -- would love to get one or two more from this site.

well , it's snowing here in NYC and all my plans for the day just went out the window. So i am here if you need help.

I am just a pet owner.

[/COLOR][/B]
I have a mini-ethnography essay due 11/1. Between family-crises, soccer, and other classes, I am a bit behind on this project. I'll try to explain this as best as I can...

Short version: I have an essay due next Tuesday. The paper is a mini-ethnography assignment. Basically, we are to describe a "subculture," (in this case, the reptile community) and write a five to six page research paper (requirements below). I would like to interview a few members of several forums for reference and quotes.

Long version: *deep breath*

Going with what was stated above, one of the main requirements of my essay is that I "help an outsider get more of a sense of that [Reptile-hobbyists/enthusiasts] culture than they had before."

Other requirements:
-Have a controlling idea (more complicated/diverse than previously thought?)
-What are the primary beliefs of this "culture?" (Down with PetSmart/Co! kidding)
-How is it [I would assume the beliefs are "it"] communicated in speech, visuals, etc?
-How does this group affect or reflect assumptions about its culture?
How does the group complicate assumptions on the culture (example listed on paper: "if you were studying English professors, might you be surprised to see that over lunch they talked about things other than books or grammar?")

If you would like to be harassed *ahem* I mean interviewed, my professor has required that we include your contact information on our works cited page.
It is APA formatting—I will look into if pseudonyms/handles are acceptable—so I will have to get back to everyone on what I will need.

I would like my interviewee base to be diverse, having solely keepers and not business owners/breeders may not give enough "insight."

Warning: Because I've missed a few classes I am out of the loop as far as this paper goes. I may have to update this thread as the days roll on. Hopefully I am doing this right...

I would like to interview the following "types" of people (I will try to edit this post as I find people):
-Large-scale ("Big Name") breeder (wholesale and non-wholesale)
-Keeper (non-breeder)
-Breeder (private, non-business)
-Petstore employee (owner, associate, etc.)
-Retail Petstore employee (manager would be a plus)
-Forum-lurker!! (non-keeper, but reads for information) -- this would be a big one, an outside viewpoint from someone who doesn't specifically keep reptiles (and has not in the past) with a somewhat unbiased viewpoint would be of phenomenal value in this paper... I think.

I can do phone calls but prefer text-based interviews. Text-based interviews would make it nearly-impossible to misquote an individual via text (provided it wasn't edited later on).

----------------------------------------

Here is a short “qualification” questionnaire/survey.
Short answers are preferred for qualification, just in case I can’t use your help (too many of x, etc.)…
I wouldn’t want anyone to put a lot of effort into something that won’t be used, I’d feel terrible!

Having said that, if you do “qualify,” feel free to come back and elaborate!

Qualification Questionnaire:

Do I have your permission to use any answers/statements in my Mini-Ethnography Essay?
yes. i will provide this in a PM when you ask me exactally what you need.

Im am a highschool student/college student who had always loved reptiles. I aspire to become an exotic vet someday.

Did you decide to enter the reptile hobby on your own, or were there outside factors that persuaded you? If you are not a member of the reptile hobby, elaborate if possible. J
It started when i was young. i would go cetch green anoles all day. Later, i got an iguana named iggy. I loved him very much and ever sence then learned the true beauty of reptiles. Their golden eyes is one of my favorite features.(if you need more just ask)

A drawback would of keep chameleons would be misting. Misting doesn't take much time; however, it will mold your house eventually. Besides that, chameleons are wonderful and fun to keep. It amazing to just watch them.

Yes.

I used to volunteer at a zoo, where I educated the public about various animals and especially reptiles. I now volunteer at a university reptile lab where hundreds of herps are kept. I have rehabilitated and released turtles. I would say I am a caretaker and educator.

Did you decide to enter the reptile hobby on your own, or were there outside factors that persuaded you? If you are not a member of the reptile hobby, elaborate if possible.
It was definitely my own decision. I have wanted reptiles for as long as I could remember and always had opposition from my parents.

A veiled chameleon certainly wouldn't be a pet for everyone, because you have to really be able to "read" the cham's mood in order to know how much interaction would be accepted. You have to be willing to back off and leave the animal alone at the smallest sign of stress. The biggest drawback to turtles would be that they are extremely messy. Sometimes you have to clean every couple of days to keep the cage from starting to smell.
As far as rewards, these animals are simply amazing to me. They are also (aside from turtles) far cleaner than most of the more popular pets. In addition, I like to see the look on people's faces when they realize "hey, reptiles aren't slimy" or something of that sort.

Just had a chance to get on a computer and I'm feeling a little under the weather.
Sorry for the delay in replies to everyone -- worst case scenario I will have to message you all mid-day tomorrow.

Reading (even the PMs) now! Thank you all!

edit: My internet is intermittent and I haven't been able to get a copy of what I need for APA-format contact guidelines... derp. that's on my to do list for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a hold of my professor for contact information. At this time I cannot accept anymore interviews because I am running out of time and need to get working on completely filling out the paper.

If I need any further responses, keep an eye out in your inbox! Anyone that has already contacted me, if you have a phone number/email address I can use for faster contact, please let me know. Thanks. :)

My professor just got back to me and said the contact info won't be necessary, so I'll try to use what I have on the bibliography. Thank you all for your assistance.

Back
Top Bottom