Looking for ideas to contain water from mister

rmichaelk

Hi Everyone,
I have a misting system setup on my 18"x18"x36" cage for my 6 month old panther chameleon. I am looking for ideas on how to prevent water from the mister going through the screens on the sides and back. I have a collection tray in the bottom of the cage but quiet a bit sprays on the side. Appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thank you.
Michael

The one I am using is the one that LLLReptile sells on their site. I used to use it for my tortoises and I am using it now until I upgrade my misting system to something different (or should I say better).

Michael

If you don't want to put like plastic or cardboard on the sides then i would just try and redirect the heads to not spray as much toward the outside.

The one I am using is the one that LLLReptile sells on their site. I used to use it for my tortoises and I am using it now until I upgrade my misting system to something different (or should I say better).

Michael

You can change the misting heads to a tighter cone so it doesn't get the sides of the cage wet.

Hi Steven - Do you know where you can order misting heads that produce a tighter cone?

I considered covering one or two sides with plastic but I am hesitant to cover the sides and block the air flow.

Michael

i have to misting nozzels in my 2'x2'x3' cage i have one in the top right front corner facing the opposite corner and one on the opposite side facing the other nozzel the mist meets in the middle and generally stays there i had to adjust where my nozzels where pointing with fishing string other wise mine would be spraying outside the cage

One of the inherent traits of misting systems, is that they require tweaking. As leaves grow, chams move branches and vines, and as nozzles clog, water goes where you don't want it to.

I have 6 cages, each serviced by the Mistking misting system. As I faced what you are facing, rouge water hitting and "spittting" through the screen, I moved my plants to block the water better, and bought the white nozzles mentioned.

Initially, the spitting through the screens reduced enough that a ShamWow (absorbent shammy) solved the problem. Then spitting started expanding to new and once dry places.

I also noticed that the 3 sets of 2 cages each have a 5 gallon bucket that services the 2 cage set for water collection, and although when first set up the collection buckets all filled at the same rate, I have had each bucket take it's turn at being filled before the other 2, at a rate of twice as fast. After replacing all six nozzles, it would all even out until...:mad:

After lots of nozzles, and monitoring the misting cycles, I had an epiphany; misting systems must be checked regularly.

In my case, my mineral content was not the only problem in the plugged nozzles. The issue for me was i had the lid off my 20 gallon reservoir to dissapate the chlorine, and my cat would dip her paw into it for a paw-lickin' drink. My nozzles catch screens were being clogged with cat hair....:eek:

I tried feeding the cat to the Mellers, but my Mellers is not quite big enough YET...;)

I covered the reservoir, but still left room for the dissipation, and 80% of my clogging is done. I did one thing that has reduced my time of taking the nozzles out to clean them in CLR, and cleaning the 1/8 inch screens. I installed a variable turn off valve between each nozzle and the mainline so that when I want to decrease/increase flow to any one cage, I can do it easily.

This way my nozzle cleaning is grouped, and I also can hit my Mellers, Quad and Montium with more water than my other species.

Hope this helps

Nick:D

Thanks for the link Steven. And thanks everyone for the ideas. I have a new nozzle, which I believe is a white one, so I am going to switch that and see how it goes.

Thank you.
Michael

In my case, my mineral content was not the only problem in the plugged nozzles. The issue for me was i had the lid off my 20 gallon reservoir to dissapate the chlorine, and my cat would dip her paw into it for a paw-lickin' drink. My nozzles catch screens were being clogged with cat hair.

Try using Reverse Osmosis water, I used it when i had a salt water reef tank, (you have to be very care full with what u put in there :p) this is the one i have http://www.bigalsonline.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&siId=1379504&catParentID=44791&scId=44791&ctl_nbr=3684&utm_source=Froogle&utm_campaign=FroogleUSA+Datafeed&utm_medium=Comparison+Shopping&CAWELAID=388698927

Or i'm sure there is a aquarium store around your area that will sell the RO water around 5-10cents per gal. But with RO water u should have no problems keeping your water in a sealed container, with routine cleaning. Hope this helps with your problem. :)

ffs good gawd man, that is some nasa stuff there, very nice. are you some kind of electric engineer ;) LMFAO at "pic of u working on your system" from that link

A shower curtain hanging on the back and/or sides of a screen cage will still provide air flow especially as the mister will circulate the air every time it runs. The curtain will also hold water droplets that can help maintain cage humidity. Especially great in winter heating season. You could tack some plastic sheeting on the wall behind the cage and the floor at the base of the wall.

Yeh, I picked up a shower curtain and plan to fasten it to the back and one side. And I also plan on using a new nozzle and will see if it helps.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom