Looking for constipation remedy

ChameleonNerd

So Ms Carla chameleon is nearly 4 years old now, and in her elder years she seems to be pooping A LOT less often than she used to.

Background information:
cage - 18x18x36x screen
uvb light - 18 inch reptisun 5.0 fluorescent
basking light - 75 watt house bulb in basking lamp
daily thorough misting (been doing it the same way for 4 years)

When i have seen her poop in the recent past (month), it has been normal, with a normal urate.

I have tried a few common remedies
1. Increased misting time
2. Showers (admittedly, i could try to do this again, more frequently)
3. Increased basking temperature (usually it's around 80, i have tried keeping it closer to 90)

Most recently (in the past 2 weeks) i have switched up her feeding schedule.

For the last couple years, i did what i call "major feedings" of 5-6 crickets every 3rd day. In between those major feedings, i would give an occasional superworm or red bell pepper (her absolute favorite food)

In these past two weeks, i have been feeding her 2 crickets daily (only given red pepper once in this two week period, and one or two superworms).

This, along with the other things i listed above, have have not affected her constipation at all. Currently it is about a week and a half without pooping.

This all being said, she is acting completely normal, and would eat a whole army of crickets if given the opportunity. It just gets me nervous knowing that her bowel movements seem to be practically null. Anybody know of any other remedies? Thanks

I have read that sometime some mineral oil dropped onto a feeder can work, I a have also read about someone using pears. Maybe also to help increase hydration give her some silk or hornworms.

I have read that sometime some mineral oil dropped onto a feeder can work, I a have also read about someone using pears. Maybe also to help increase hydration give her some silk or hornworms.

This covers it all. I prefer the drop of mineral oil, works 90% of the time.:) If you have access to horns or silkies they will help a good bit.

I agree with the mineral oil method.
It works every time for me, and I don't even have to get them to eat in on a
feeder, I just get a eye-dropper with some in it, and apply it around their
mouth.
Enough goes through the seam of the mouth, even when it's closed.

Next day, a giant poop!!! :eek:

However, if he is impacted, due to swallowing something, this may not work
and you will need to take your cham to a vet PDQ.

Adult chameleons will poop a lot less as they get older and considering this animal is 4 years old it's not particularly surprising.

If the animal is not straining to produce a bowel movement, is it REALLY constipated or is this a perfectly normal schedule for Ms. Carla. Considering the amount of food being fed a day (2 bugs + red pepper), and lower ambient temperatures of the season, this shouldn't produce huge movements all that frequently.

Adult chameleons will poop a lot less as they get older and considering this animal is 4 years old it's not particularly surprising.

If the animal is not straining to produce a bowel movement, is it REALLY constipated or is this a perfectly normal schedule for Ms. Carla. Considering the amount of food being fed a day (2 bugs + red pepper), and lower ambient temperatures of the season, this shouldn't produce huge movements all that frequently.

I totally agree with Trace. As my guys get older or eat less they poop less. Also if I think one of my chams hasn't went in a long time my vet tells me to up the hydration so I give several super long warm mistings and that usually works. If Ms. Carla is a veiled you can also offer her fruits. Veileds love fruits and veggies and that seems to help too. I would also recommend warming her up a tad but IMO 90 is a bit too high. I would bring the basking temps to 86 or 87.

Another thing I just thought of, hornworms usually make mine go too. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and advice. I am going to bump up the temps a bit, as well as increase misting time. As for the mineral oil - One would assume that trying wouldn't hurt. So, where would one buy mineral oil? And is it actually just "mineral oil"?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom