Looking for advice on purchasing new SLR Camera

Pashka

This Christmas my father and I have been looking into purchasing a new camera for me. I've always loved taking photographs and plan on taking a class/course soon. Currently, I carry my Canon Powershot SD550 with me EVERYWHERE. Anyway, I've been looking into SLR cameras and am not sure which to purchase and what lenses to purchase along with it. My budget is between $1000 to $1300 (including the lens). So far I've been looking at the Nikon D200, Canon EOS 30D, or the Nikon D80. However, if there any other good ones I am open to suggestions.

If anyone is willing to share their experiences that would be awesome. What cameras/lenses would you guys suggest?

Thank you.

Eh thought Id give you my 2 cents. Id go with the canon 30D. Im a student at Brooks Institute of Photography I get to use all the cameras that well veryone wishes they had Like Canon Nikon Mamiya Hasselblad Lieca. but in your price range I think the 30D is your best bet. but then again Ive been Shooting Canon ever since i first picked up a camera. but In saying that I also think you should go out and hold the cameras your self. see if you like how they feel. if you dont like how it feels you will have a harder time shooting it and holding it steady.If you get a camera kit they will come with a lens most of these are decent starter lenses. they are usually cheaper than buying just the camera then buying a lens.
B&h(bhphotovideo.com) is a god place to find good deals on cameras and equipment.(Keh.com) is also another good one.

Last edited:
Howdy,

I'm still cranking away with my old Canon Digital Rebel :). If you need to go with less money, the Canon Digital Rebel XTi can be found at places like Costco online for $650 with a kit lens (15-55mm) and a printer included! But as was mentioned, you'll want to hold the camera that you are thinking about. Some don't like the feel of the XTi, especially compared to the 30D :eek:. Right now, I can't justify buying a better camera because I'm only a "hack" when it comes to quality photography and my old Rebel still makes me look great :(.

EDIT: I really like the lenses with the ultrasonic motor focusing. Look for USM in the descriptor. Lenses with image stabilization are great if you can afford the extra cost, especially with anything long (70-300mm etc....)

Last edited:
Nikon D80 with a nice lens.

If you decide to go pro sometime, you'll want a full frame digital anyway, so the D80 will do everything you need and everything practical that the D200 does. Good full frame digitals are only being made by Nikon currently, and revisions of the new cameras are underway.

I'll sell my soul for a Nikon D3mkII and the D3 launch lenses.

Last edited:
Pashka,

With your budget, might I suggest holding off a bit longer and save more money? You should consider buying the Canon 40D Digital SLR. You are looking at about 1600 USD with a great lens kit. The 30D is great, but adding in just 300 bucks extra will bump you up to a whole new level with the 40D.

One thing you also need to consider is whether or not you want a full frame sensor. The Canon 40D is not a full frame sensor (not a bad thing). There are pros and cons, but from what I understand you love photography but won't be going pro anytime soon. The 40D imo is the best money can buy for you right now.

Now, if you decide you want a full frame sensor - that is when you go into pro territory. The Canon 5D is the pro system, and a kit would cost around 3K. You can however buy the body only (refurb) for about 1500 USD.

I have photographer friends who end up using their 40D more so than their 1D on some travel assignments. Just because it isn't a full frame sensor doesn't mean it's not pro worthy.

Nate

Of course.

Nonetheless, Full frame Digitals are the future. All base model dslr's will be full fram in likely a few years.Eitherway, obviously the person is just starting out.

If you are getting into photography for sure, I stand with my suggestion of the Nikon D80, if you want to test the water, then consider the affordable D40x and splurge with soem really nice lenses.

Canon Xti

Unless you seriously already know what makes a canon 30d different from an xti, it aint worth the extra dollars!

What's really going to make your photos shine is your lens. Not your body. Spend less - get an xti, it's everything you'll need and more, and then spend the extra money on a macro and a wide angle and a telephoto zoom. Or a flash body, or a tripod, or a macro flash for taking pics of your chams.

I got the canon digital rebel 3 years ago and then I dropped it in the ocean and then I bought it again. I'm now using it to take professional studio portraits as freelance work.

Beware though! SLR's are like reptiles if you really like photography. You can't stop. I'm currrently trying to decide whether to save up for a green tree python, or a canon macro ring flash.

Also: My methodiology of buying this kind of thing is that I let me skill level dictate my need. For instance, the xti comes with an 18mm-55mm lens that everyone told me was a piece of garbage. I don't know why because it worked great for me for a long time - until i started shooting with other lens and actually seeing the difference, (and it took me about a year with a new lens to see the difference). Now I have a hard time touching that 18-55.

I'd do the same with my camera body. I won't upgrade until I know why I need to upgrade. At this point I have no reason.

Last edited:
Pashka,

With your budget, might I suggest holding off a bit longer and save more money? You should consider buying the Canon 40D Digital SLR. You are looking at about 1600 USD with a great lens kit. The 30D is great, but adding in just 300 bucks extra will bump you up to a whole new level with the 40D.

One thing you also need to consider is whether or not you want a full frame sensor. The Canon 40D is not a full frame sensor (not a bad thing). There are pros and cons, but from what I understand you love photography but won't be going pro anytime soon. The 40D imo is the best money can buy for you right now.

Now, if you decide you want a full frame sensor - that is when you go into pro territory. The Canon 5D is the pro system, and a kit would cost around 3K. You can however buy the body only (refurb) for about 1500 USD.

I have photographer friends who end up using their 40D more so than their 1D on some travel assignments. Just because it isn't a full frame sensor doesn't mean it's not pro worthy.

Nate

This Christmas I will get around $2000, but I was just estimating how much I would use on a camera. My total limit is $2000. At this point, I'm still researching and still am confused about the lenses. What types of lenses should I buy and of what brand?

By the way, thank you all for your responses. I was not expecting this much help!

Here's the dissenting vote for Sony's DSLRs.

Why?

They take Minolta Maxxum lenses. If you're just starting out, they all take fantastic photos. That's a given. However, with Sony, you have a huge back catalog of lenses that are much more affordable than Canon's.

Yes, I know the advantages of having the motors in the lens, however the big disadvantages of that are A) they are more expensive and B) there's more to break. The same amount of shock applied to each style of lens will damage the motors before it breaks the glass or mechanism in a Maxxum lens.

Ever seen a grown man cry? I did when he dropped a hyper-expensive APO Canon lens in the store where I used to work. :)

As someone who uses a very old very crappy camera and until recently had insufficient knowledge or skill to care, I'm with Royden. Get the less expensive one unless you already know why you must have the more expensive one.

Can anyone recommend a good website or two for camera comparisons? I used to like DPReview, but now that its not independant I am not sure its unbiased?

P.S. - Royden, get the canon macro ring :)

Back
Top Bottom