Looking for a vet

Have you asked around at your local pet stores? I would expect they might know where to find the closest vet. You might also approach a dog and cat vet . They might be interested enough to help. Your female might need injections of Oxytocin and Calcium. I would think any vet could look up a formulairy and come up with the correct doses. THey should also have Oxytocin on hand.

Have you asked around at your local pet stores? I would expect they might know where to find the closest vet. You might also approach a dog and cat vet . They might be interested enough to help. Your female might need injections of Oxytocin and Calcium. I would think any vet could look up a formulairy and come up with the correct doses. THey should also have Oxytocin on hand.

Thanks! We have a dog and cat vet. I didn't think they would be much help. I believe calcium injections are what I need anyways. Maybe I'll call them up. I'll ask you guys (the forum) how much calcium She needs if the vet doesn't know.

-Steve

EDIT: @Jann, There is one member that is in the same town as me, But she's no longer active on the forum (however... i do believe i know her in person......)

Thanks! We have a dog and cat vet. I didn't think they would be much help. I believe calcium injections are what I need anyways. Maybe I'll call them up. I'll ask you guys (the forum) how much calcium She needs if the vet doesn't know.

-Steve

She probably needs an x-ray first and if there's eggs, Oxytocin to induce labor.

You may have another option.

Its both expensive and risky , but doing nothing may result in a worse scenario.

You could ship your female down the coast to someone in Vancouver or Victoria, where there is qualified vets available.

Air Canada Cargo Live will ship for about $50 if you can find a local airport that has Dash8 planes running from your location to Victoria or Vancouver. I suspect the trip would be about 2 hours max. You would need someone to meet the plane and pick up.

If you consider this option , be sure to inquire that the plane is a Dash 8, as these planes have temp regulated cargo holds, whereas some of the Embrars, Beechcraft and CRJs don't. Also you need to pack it in a secure bin or deli container with air holes and place that inside a styrofoam lined box. Fill the empty spaces loosely with newspaper. The box shouldn't need air holes , as the cavity will hold enough air for hours.

If the ground temps are above 5C, and you use a temp regulated plane, you won't need a heat pack either.

Okay because we're in a fairly tight financial situation... so I hope its not too expensive! I'll be shovelling lots of driveways!

-Steve

I'll be shovelling lots of driveways!

-Steve[/QUOTE]

Whatever it takes for our chams but hurry up and get her there....in that pic she didn't look good. If you had a cham vet it would be so much better.

You should be able to determine if she is carrying eggs by palpating her abdomen. The xray would only confirm what should be obvious, although it might reveal fused eggs or some other anomaly.

If your female hasn't attempted to dig or lay , I wouldn't be suspicious of obstructions such as fused eggs. In a case of obstructions, your cham would have at least attempted to lay the eggs.

Here in Ontario , an Xray could cost between $150 - $300. The Oxytocin and calcium injections , with the exam, should run about $125 - $200.

Keep in mind , Oxytocin , may need to be administered several times over several hours. Also note , that it may not work. In my own experience , Oxytocin was effective 3 of 5 times. And I've only opted to use it in 5 cases among hundreds of clutches layed.

Back
Top Bottom