Looking for a bigger light fixture rather than dome lights !!!

A double will reduce output by 20% per bulb So keep that in mind.

So a 6% in a single is putting out more UVB than a 12% in a quad.
A 12% in a double is putting out 50% more UVB than a 12% in a quad.

Id say a 12% is a good choice, and just lower the basking stick to around the 12" level to compensate for the 50% higher output vs 6-7" away from a quad with the same 12%, or a 6-7" away from a single with a 6%.

If I had a double on a 2x2x4 enclosure -- would a 6% still be efficient? If I wanted to do one uvb and one plant?

Nope - mine are parallel and close to one edge, but 6 or more inches from the other. It still puts out great light, but just wanted to point out that a 30" light fixture doesn't mean you get 30" bulbs. I have a plant light near the dark end of mine.
Really wow. Ok I got mine back in November and this is how the tubes are positioned... So I get total light coverage. I do have the UVB bulb positioned to be in the section that is more left aligned though. I wonder why ours are different. I do wish the bulbs went all the way across though :(
lighting.jpg

If I had a double on a 2x2x4 enclosure -- would a 6% still be efficient? If I wanted to do one uvb and one plant?

Thats what i run. It only reduces output 20%. And again, if you spend a bit more on the hood, your double may come with internal reflectors, so you will get no reduction in output. I have not seen a internal reflector double, but i have seen several models of internal reflector quads.

Thats what i run. It only reduces output 20%. And again, if you spend a bit more on the hood, your double may come with internal reflectors, so you will get no reduction in output. I have not seen a internal reflector double, but i have seen several models of internal reflector quads.

Might cry if I see "if you wanna spend a bit more..." again... :eek:

jkjkjk. Internal reflectors sound boss. I'll save up if I'm gonna make the switch to a double. Thanks!

Really wow. Ok I got mine back in November and this is how the tubes are positioned... So I get total light coverage. I do have the UVB bulb positioned to be in the section that is more left aligned though. I wonder why ours are different. I do wish the bulbs went all the way across though :(
View attachment 237956

Wow that is horrible. I guess that is techically a way to get inbetween 22" and 46"

By comparison, if you would have gotten the below, it would have doubled your light output, since it has internal reflectors, but it wouldnt have covered the full 30"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JQBQZQ

well well well. Ask and you shall receive. Looks like I know where some of Friday's pay check is going. Many thanks.

Even better news, they are youtube approved

You have to kinda watch which T5 HO fixtures you buy, since some can not supply enough high voltage to keep the bulbs lit properly.

Wow that is horrible. I guess that is techically a way to get inbetween 22" and 46"

By comparison, if you would have gotten the below, it would have doubled your light output, since it has internal reflectors, but it wouldnt have covered the full 30"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JQBQZQ
Yeah I wanted something that would cover the full 30 inches. It works well for my set up. I have the uvb pulled more the the left with his heat for basking then I end up with a much lower UVI gradient on the right 6 inches.

If you can afford it, look into CoBs and Pin sinks, or the likes of Makers heatsinks with CoBs.

It's not cheap. I'm in at about 600 right now, for a 4x2x4.

View attachment 237956

I got just the dual, someone linked to it earlier. After the issue with the quad, I'll stick to the duals my plant lights! But yes, its similar setup, with the two bulbs off center. Mine aren't staggered, so I have those several inches of blank space on one end. I wish the bulbs were centered, or the unit were shorter. It looks nice and sleek, though.

I got just the dual, someone linked to it earlier. After the issue with the quad, I'll stick to the duals my plant lights! But yes, its similar setup, with the two bulbs off center. Mine aren't staggered, so I have those several inches of blank space on one end. I wish the bulbs were centered, or the unit were shorter. It looks nice and sleek, though.
Yeah I gotta say I have been watching my new quad like a hawk since your experience :wideyed:

Yeah I gotta say I have been watching my new quad like a hawk since your experience :wideyed:

I have one used quad that has been fine, but with the fans, leds, and 4 bulbs, I just feel like there are more opportunities for failure. So I'm sticking to the duals. Besides, I really like using the 30 & 40w LED plant bulbs so it gives me the space and extra cash to add a few.

Does anyone know how often lightyourreptiles website gets restocked ? Because I’m so sad I literally was going to buy the 30 in HO t5 double fixture and it’s sold out , literally everything is. Now I’m not sure what to get .. I was looking at this one to just get cause I need it ASAP. Also what bulbs would you recommend using that would work best

This is the fixture I’m more than likely going to get now

Attachments

• E46705A9-1EF4-4AD7-A808-FCCAA2276D36.png
    E46705A9-1EF4-4AD7-A808-FCCAA2276D36.png
    209.8 KB · Views: 276
This is the fixture I’m more than likely going to get now

What size cage is this for? There is no 30" UVB bulb.

That fixture doesn't take 30 inches either those are 22" bulbs. If you want to match cage lenght I guess, but it's still only 22" bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom