Long Car Trip

Neard122

Recently me and my family have moved half way across the country, from Colorado to Pennsylvania. I had to leave my 4 year old, female veiled chameleon with my dad so he can transport her for me. My dad plans to drive to Pennsylvania which is a 27 hour trip. I have a temporary travel box for my cham for vet visits, which is only a 5 minute trip. (it is just a shoe box with a small towel at the bottom). I am working with my dad to create a better travel box for this trip. Are there any helpful tips for this long trip? I want it to be as stress free as it can be for my chameleon.

Keep him in the small shoe box. Make sure there's no light seeping in so the chameleon will most likely sleep the whole trip. Maybe put a small branch in the box and a towel at the bottom. Chameleons are packaged in way less and shipped halfway across the world on planes. He should be alright.

I just bought a small screen laundry basket from Ikea. It is made of coiled wire and screen... so when not in use it folds and ties down flat. When in use, it has a screen lid that velcros in place. It's perfect for a temporary travel or vet carrier. I put some flukers vines in it and folded it flat for storage... so now I have a handy dandy chameleon taxi.

I just have a mini cage setup for mine. I put thick towels all around it so it’s mostly dark. Just make it big enough so that he doesn’t get stressed out, etc. and you will be fine. Just make sure to spray him for five or ten minutes when you get back.

I just bought a small screen laundry basket from Ikea. It is made of coiled wire and screen... so when not in use it folds and ties down flat. When in use, it has a screen lid that velcros in place. It's perfect for a temporary travel or vet carrier. I put some flukers vines in it and folded it flat for storage... so now I have a handy dandy chameleon taxi.
Only thing about this is that light will get in. So for long travel something like this will cause stress. Shoe box or small box. Some small air holes, towel in the bottom, a branch run across the length for gripping but punched through the box to secure it is best. The Cham will sleep for the long trip and as long as the temp does not drop below 50-55 degrees the Cham will just sleep and not be affected by the move.

Back
Top Bottom