Lol

pfal26

i totally didnt see this topic. Hey i am new, u can call me Pfal. My main interests r sports, animals, and video games, more of the first 2 than the last.

wat got me interested in chams, was a week ago, when i saw a jackson's close up in Hawaii on the island of Maui. 1 of the people i was with picked it up, he was about 6.5 - 7 inches tail to head. He had all 3 horns grown on his head. he was just so awsome all he wanted to do was climb up u and rest on ur shoulder. we soon put him back on the exact spot we found him. Ever since i got back i have been researching on chams, and i would really enjoy owning 1.

and uh I LOVE HOCKEY!!!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums. Odd as it may seem, jacksons aren't native to hawaii, they were introduced. From what i understand though, they are doing very well, thriving even. We have small populations of veileds in parts of florida and they are threatining some local species. But, that's neither here or there. While chameleons are indeed fascinating, something you should realize before you purchase one is that their husbandry needs are quite demanding. They are one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult, of commonly kept reptiles. Too many times people will be overtaken with their beauty and uniqueness, and make impulse purchases, not realizing what an endevor proper care is. It would behoove you to research the websites i have posted below so you can see how intricate husbandry really is. That said, and luckily for you, the chameleon that impressed you, the jacksons, is readily available and one of the easiest to care for on the market. Easiest does not imply simple however, they are just not AS demanding as some other species. I hate to sound like a pesimist, but like everything else knowledge is power. If you put in the research, planning, time and money you will really enjoy these guys. Hope to hear from you soon

--------------------------------
Chameleon News (this website is invaluable to the chameleon owner, and highly repscted in the community)
Chameleon's Dish (this website is good for the most basic of information)

thanks edub,
i heard from some1 they rnt native there. I heard from numerous ppl panthers and veileds r easier than jackson's, as jackson's take a lot of humidity. Is this tru that veileds or panthers would be easier. Also, if jackson's take a lot of humidity, and in a screen cage wont most of the mist come out and could make object damp near the cage?

pfal26 said:
thanks edub,
i heard from some1 they rnt native there. I heard from numerous ppl panthers and veileds r easier than jackson's, as jackson's take a lot of humidity. Is this tru that veileds or panthers would be easier. Also, if jackson's take a lot of humidity, and in a screen cage wont most of the mist come out and could make object damp near the cage?
Yes, it's true that jacksons require high humidity, but as you research you will find several means to easily raise humidity. There are also ways to make sure only the cage gets damp. See, your already getting an idea of how difficult captive care can be.

i'm waiting

I want a blue bar ambilobe panther, but I decided i'm going to wait, because I don't think I have the time right now, and because I live in México its so dificult to get the bugs and stuff... I'm not prepared to have a credit card so I can't buy on-line.... anyway.... this is not the right time for me to have a chameleon...... BUT eventually it will be!!!!!:D

Really, to research a lot helps to make the right decision...

edub,
where can i find baby jackson's for sale? Healthy ones, i mean from a breeder experienced cham owners would suggest, i would hope to not make many vet visits

I would indeed suggest getting a Veiled Cham instead. They are said to be the esiest cham to care for if not one of the easiest. I don't know anything about Panthers except that they are beutiful therefore expen$ive :rolleyes:

As for breeders I think we have a couple on this site. One being FL Chams. www.flchams.com . I myself got my veiled from FL Chams :) And their are others that I can't think of right now.

And Susy, that is an intelligent desicion of which I respect and admire.:)

well, i want a male because i do not want responsibilities of eggs. I heard male veileds can be mean and be aggressive and i do not want that. I think if i set my mind to it (which I am) i can take care of a jackson's cham well. as well as the proper research of them which i am doing every day!

yay jacksons!

i have a jackson's and his care is quite demanding but he' s a great little guy! (although i do not allow anyone to call him little in his presence because i do not need him getting a complex) his temperment is great! in the afternoons to help hydrate him i give him a shower and then move him, tree and all to come watch tv with me (from his tree) but like the little guy you met, he sometimes likes to crawl up and hang out on me while i watch tv too! (his choice, he makes the rules!) however, i also have a really great (and expensive) vet. right now he has an eye infection and is a bit under the weather but because of his vet bills (as with any specialty doctor) i'm trying to convince him to get a job! ha ha, not really, but he does take alot of time and money so be prepared! and their vet trips arent like ours, just wait a day adn see if we get better... that day could cost your buddy his life so they do need to be taken very seriously! but jackson's rock!

Back
Top Bottom