Locust's

beni

Do we really need to tear off locust's legs before we feed them to our chams?

Thx for the info. By

Sorry, Beni. Most of us are American and Canadian, and we don't have access to locusts. They are illegal in the US because they are a pest insect. Someone from the UK will have to answer that for you.

Heika

Well, the same advice has been given regarding crickets. The hard spiny legs of some crickets do have the potential to inflict cuts on the inside of the cham's mouth.
From my past experience handling locusts, I would assume that the danger of this occuring with locusts is even higher, since locusts generally have much larger, stronger and spinier legs. I have handled a large grasshopper that has kicked and actually scratched open my hand.

That said, I have also been told that the legs are one of the most protein-rich parts of crickets (and thus I assume locusts too), so you might not want to deprive your cham of that nutritional value.
Also, most of the crickets used as feeder insects don't have the same hard, spiny legs that some of the common garden and field crickets do, so most healthy chams should be able to devour them legs and all without any problems.

But my advice would be to use caution when feeding the locusts. Make sure they are small enough to be fed to your cham. Feeding locusts that are too large is inviting trouble. And if the legs look particularly strong and saw-toothed, maybe it would be best to break them off before feeding them to your cham.

I use locusts all the time there are a great food for your chams you dont need to pull the legs off,they will be fine(have used them for over 10 years without a problem)
The one thing us brits could do with is tomato/tobacco horn worms!!!! we cant get em and it sucks:mad:

just not available:mad: a bit gutting as i belive a chameleons reaction to them,is like mine in a pub when giving away free beer :D

I use locusts all the time there are a great food for your chams you dont need to pull the legs off,they will be fine(have used them for over 10 years without a problem)
The one thing us brits could do with is tomato/tobacco horn worms!!!! we cant get em and it sucks:mad:

Are locusts CB or WC?

Back
Top Bottom