Locust

If it was me when u catch them I'd just feed them for a week with safe gut load run all the crap out there system they may have been eating that you don't want in you chams system

I was wondering the same thing If I'm right youre not talkin about locust like in the uk. Are you talking about the ones that leave their sheds on the side of trees?

Only if they are a safe species and taken from a pesticide free area. WC feeders do pose a parasite risk, but if you have fecals done regularly it isnt usually an issue.

I was wondering the same thing If I'm right youre not talkin about locust like in the uk. Are you talking about the ones that leave their sheds on the side of trees?

Yep lol could I catch the brown shells there in or should I catch the actual locust?

If you're in the US and can catch a handful of locusts, I'd create a colony. They're impossible/illegal to purchase here. Not sure about the laws on owning a colony, though.

It would probably be easiest to catch while they are still in the shell try to get a bunck put them in a tub and see if you cant get them breeding or feed em off.

I would go with catching them in the shell and trying to have them rid of the shell to feed. If you have the space and weather, a locust colony would be a great feeder.

It would probably be easiest to catch while they are still in the shell try to get a bunck put them in a tub and see if you cant get them breeding or feed em off.

What's a bunk? Never heard of that. And yeah I catch them easily over here

Short horned grasshoppers

Locusts are differentiated from other short horned grasshoppers by their breeding patterns. They go into swarming phase. Swarming phase is when they swarm together en masse for breeding, when at other times they tend to be solitary like other grasshoppers.

In swarming phase they eat and breed ravenously. This is also when they are most productive. A species known as Locusta migratoria can actually be kept in swarming phase 24 hours a day 7 days a week by keeping light and heat on non stop. This also shortens the development time from about 8 or so weeks to about 5 weeks or so.

There are locust species in the United States such as Locusta americana, among others from several different genera. This applies around the world also. If locusts are native to your state then catching them and having them breed should not pose legal problems within the state.

Locusts such as Locusta migratoria and Schistocera gregaria are wonderful feeders and about as close to an ideal insect feeder as far as nutrition, productivity and palatability among a wide range of insectivores.

Instead of feeding the ones you catch just facilitate getting a colony going and feed what they breed.

Locusts are differentiated from other short horned grasshoppers by their breeding patterns. They go into swarming phase. Swarming phase is when they swarm together en masse for breeding, when at other times they tend to be solitary like other grasshoppers.

In swarming phase they eat and breed ravenously. This is also when they are most productive. A species known as Locusta migratoria can actually be kept in swarming phase 24 hours a day 7 days a week by keeping light and heat on non stop. This also shortens the development time from about 8 or so weeks to about 5 weeks or so.

There are locust species in the United States such as Locusta americana, among others from several different genera. This applies around the world also. If locusts are native to your state then catching them and having them breed should not pose legal problems within the state.

Locusts such as Locusta migratoria and Schistocera gregaria are wonderful feeders and about as close to an ideal insect feeder as far as nutrition, productivity and palatability among a wide range of insectivores.

Instead of feeding the ones you catch just facilitate getting a colony going and feed what they breed.

ok got ya thanks

Back
Top Bottom