Lobster Roaches

ducati

Would lobster roaches be a good feeder choice for my Jackson's chameleon. Is is better to feed them roaches instead of cricket. I would still mix it up with crickets every so often. Also what are the advantages disadvantges to lobster roaches compared to dubia roaches. Thanks

It is good to provide a mix....... lobsters are good because you won't have to buy crickets.... they multiply face.... but they can infest and can climb glass and plastic.... so keeping them without them escaping can be tricky. You also need to make sure they get eaten.... ya don't want them escaping the cage or feeding cup.

I had them... but got rid of them when I moved.

just remember they are fast, climb smooth surfaces and infest....

Dubia are a good roach because they are slow, can't climb smooth surfaces and are slow to breed unless kept at a warm temp (they are tropical).

Gosh, I'm sooo glad to find this thread... my hubby just got me a box of these little critters and said as they are arboral the cham's would love em...... mmmmm I think that I'll make sure they are ALL eaten and this is the last box! It's bad enough having the odd cricket escape!:eek:

Gosh, I'm sooo glad to find this thread... my hubby just got me a box of these little critters and said as they are arboral the cham's would love em...... mmmmm I think that I'll make sure they are ALL eaten and this is the last box! It's bad enough having the odd cricket escape!:eek:

LOL I agree! I traded some of my Dubias for lobsters so I could have a couple different ones. After seeing how fast they climb and jump they are getting fed off for sure! I wanna try Turkish roaches they move fast but don't climb

I love my dubias though!

my chameleons hate lobsters. They give off a stinky smell. I usually just feed them to my tarantulas.

LOL I agree! I traded some of my Dubias for lobsters so I could have a couple different ones. After seeing how fast they climb and jump they are getting fed off for sure! I wanna try Turkish roaches they move fast but don't climb

Turkish are much faster and way more likely to infest than lobsters. I've kept both. I fed off of the turkish a couple of years ago after trying them for several months and deciding the potential they have for infestation scared me. I still have turks running around in my other roach tubs (I keep dubia, hissers, and lobsters) a couple of years later. I have no idea how they get there because they aren't good climbers. They are still in my lizard building where they scatter egg casings on the floor and beneath boxes and things, and last month when we had 18 inches of snow on the ground I picked up a board out in the yard and saw about 40 awake and active turks walking around slowly underneath. Yes they are out in the yard now. I'm hoping the super cold spell we just had with temps in the single digits and teens for a couple of weeks killed them off out there, but I know I still have some running around in the lizard building. They do seem to be getting fewer and farther between but I still find a couple in the building every day or two.

I've kept lobsters for several years (I fed out 150,000 last june to lizards to give you an idea of the scale I am breeding these roaches on), and have never seen anything from the lobsters like I am seeing from the turkish ( which I ordered 15,000 one time from an online supplier and then fed out completely within several months).

Only dubias are allowed in my home to feed the lizards and frogs the kids keep. The fact they can't climb and are tropical really adds to the safety factor. Lobsters breed fine at room temperature and climb- only reason I feel safe about them is that I have kept them several years and don't find them out in the yard or running loose all over the lizard building. I think they need a fair amount of water in their food or humidity or they die out eventually. If I stop feeding them out they disappear in the building and yard in time. I've brought a large male hisser in as a pet for the kids a couple of times until they lost interest as well. But I'd never bring lobsters in to my home, and I really think turkish roaches are very dangerous- too cold hardy, too hard to get rid of- do a google search and you will find pest control places have had to treat infestations of these roaches in homes and schools and they are illegal to keep in some states (with good reason IMO). I very much regret ever bringing them onto my property.

Only Dubia and E. Distanti now....

I have two colonies of Dubia and one of E. Distanti. E. Distanti breed and grow too slowly to be of much use. That colony is rarely fed off. I started out with Lobsters before I even had chams. I was feeding monitors, basilisks and hydrosaurus species. I had them escaping and it grossed me out. I stopped feeding any type of roach until I got into chams and tried the none climbers. By E. Distanti, though not recommended for feeding purposes, are kind of cute. They recognize me and come to the glass when I bring them fresh fruit and veggies. I don't usually have the heart to feed them out unless they really get out of hand.

Back
Top Bottom