Live plant situation

Jc555

Hi i have a veiled chameleon enclosure currently with just just fake plants but i wanted to convert to real ones, i was just wondering if i were to get say a singular full grown ficus, is that all id need plant/branch matter wise? I was thinking possibly of adding some pothos in as they are kinda like vines, but if not could you guys recommend other things to put in thanks.

Full grown ficus? like 7 ft? I've only seen them at nurseries and craigslist. At a nursery you are talking some cash as they have been grown by someone for years. I have had no luck getting any ficus for a while. I have been looking for several months.

Pothos are my favorite. Easy, cheap and fast growing. They show plenty of signs of dehydration before they die but I don't think there is such thing as too much water. They can be grown in just water if there is some nutrients (tap water usually has enough). Easy to propagate and is the most time tested for chams. And being a fast growing vine, my hunch is, they help with humidity more than most plants. I was able to get a nice big one at Lowe's for $10 or $12 and I placed it at the bottom of the cage and strong the vines to the top.

Umbrella plant (Schefflera Arboricola) is another favorite. Caution though, they are toxic to dogs and cats (maybe children? not sure). They can be a bit of a problem as they need to have their soil dry out between watering.

Here is a safe plants list... Note that just because they are safe, does not mean they can be grown under a single fluorescent and a heat bulb. Some are not concidered "house plants" because they need more light.

https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

No matter what plant you choose, look up how to clean the plant's leaves of pesticides and fertilizers and re pot the plant with safe soil.

I love ficus, @NickTide I've been having the same problem looking for plants this time of year. Theres online sites, but all have questionable reviews. I regret not taking advantage of the huge supply of 5 foot+ ficus alii and benjamina along with other plants my lowes got in last year.

I love ficus, @NickTide I've been having the same problem looking for plants this time of year. Theres online sites, but all have questionable reviews. I regret not taking advantage of the huge supply of 5 foot+ ficus alii and benjamina along with other plants my lowes got in last year.

I wasn't sure if it was the time of year or not. I looked last August and could not find them then either. Decided again in January that I wanted one... No luck.

I wasn't sure if it was the time of year or not. I looked last August and could not find them then either. Decided again in January that I wanted one... No luck.

The stores near me tend to get a huge selection right around May/early June when the weather gets more consistent. I talked to an employee and they said the suppliers just send them when the weather gets nice. Makes sense because most stores keep them outside and it would suck to have a huge shipment of trees killed one night of low temps.

Thank you all for the responses and i did mean the full grown ficus, but i think obviously thats too big, and i likely will find other kinds with the pothos.

Full grown ficus? like 7 ft? I've only seen them at nurseries and craigslist. At a nursery you are talking some cash as they have been grown by someone for years. I have had no luck getting any ficus for a while. I have been looking for several months.

Pothos are my favorite. Easy, cheap and fast growing. They show plenty of signs of dehydration before they die but I don't think there is such thing as too much water. They can be grown in just water if there is some nutrients (tap water usually has enough). Easy to propagate and is the most time tested for chams. And being a fast growing vine, my hunch is, they help with humidity more than most plants. I was able to get a nice big one at Lowe's for $10 or $12 and I placed it at the bottom of the cage and strong the vines to the top.

Umbrella plant (Schefflera Arboricola) is another favorite. Caution though, they are toxic to dogs and cats (maybe children? not sure). They can be a bit of a problem as they need to have their soil dry out between watering.

Here is a safe plants list... Note that just because they are safe, does not mean they can be grown under a single fluorescent and a heat bulb. Some are not concidered "house plants" because they need more light.

https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

No matter what plant you choose, look up how to clean the plant's leaves of pesticides and fertilizers and re pot the plant with safe soil.

Is there a way one can place the “umbrella” plant, or any plant chameleon wise somehow in the ground with an organic substrate with say isopods, rather than in a pot? Thanks

Is there a way one can place the “umbrella” plant, or any plant chameleon wise somehow in the ground with an organic substrate with say isopods, rather than in a pot? Thanks
I guess you could mound up the dirt around the roots but you will have a mess and excess water will run on the floor. Maybe a larger tub that just about fits the bottom of the cage. Isopods would live in a pot. They really wont provide much in the way of food (if that's what you were thinking) as they stay hidden... unless you dig them out and cup or hand feed them.

The stores near me tend to get a huge selection right around May/early June when the weather gets more consistent. I talked to an employee and they said the suppliers just send them when the weather gets nice. Makes sense because most stores keep them outside and it would suck to have a huge shipment of trees killed one night of low temps.
Good to know... so I am too early now, and was probably too late last August. I did get my umbrellas on clearance last august at Lowes... plus there were two gecko eggs in the one pot that hatched out. That was cool.

Here's a couple of mine. I used flowers pots as the base of the cage. Drainage bins underneath on a wire shelf. You can also make a wooden box to fit the bottom with pond liner inside.

Attachments

• 20170728_131835.jpg
    20170728_131835.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 94
  • 20171006_183835.jpg
    20171006_183835.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 56
I guess you could mound up the dirt around the roots but you will have a mess and excess water will run on the floor. Maybe a larger tub that just about fits the bottom of the cage. Isopods would live in a pot. They really wont provide much in the way of food (if that's what you were thinking) as they stay hidden... unless you dig them out and cup or hand feed them.

Ok i will do what you did with the flower pot, i meant in a way to clean decaying matter/possible mold formation if it were to happen.

I've gotten good plants for terrarium living from Josh's frogs. I unfortunately had a drainage issue and drowned a few but they did well until I messed them up.

I also use a lot of orchid bark and coconut fiber substrate on the top layers because they hold a lot of water but dry out quickly. I have a layer of organic safe earth. Potting worms are in the soil and bark to help digest the poo and keep mold down by moving the soil around and eating stuff.

Might check out Lowes, when I went they had pretty dense and large schefflera, the one that I got goes up about half way in the xl reptibreeze. :)(y)

I was never much for keeping house plants but now that I have the chameleons I buy the 3 inch pots of the 4 basic chameleon friendly plants when they are cheap. I transplant to bigger pots and grow them up to be ready my next addition. I also take cuttings of the pothos and root them in vases of water to create even more plants. What has this hobby done to me?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom