Live locusts in USA

Can you sell to me I live in California monterey to be exact 93940 [email protected]

When I collect enough brood stock to take care of my chameleons then I could consider selling to you giving the circumstances. Then I could sell to you. I have got a wait list.

Jeremy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he has stock to sell at the moment, unless you were talking about his care sheets. I'm like an hour away from you though, if you want to just pick some up lol.

No as posted earlier I am in the processes of building my brood stock colonies for Schistocerca. I have got a medium breeding group of Schistocerca right now of Schistocerca nitens and shoshone. I am not selling any of these hoppers until most most of these hopper colonies are established.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Interesting thread ....please clarify in layman's terms the difference between locusts and grasshoppers...and are lubbers (which are on the Do Not Feed list) just a large variety of grasshopper?

We've got tons of wild hoppers here in CO that can leap over tall buildings in a single bound...I get pelted when I walk my dogs thru the fields...can I feed these?

Most full sized Lubbers are too big to feed your chams anyway, on top of being toxic.

Locusts tend to have a smaller body than hoppers, their wings are also generally larger than a hoppers. Locusts fly a lot more than hoppers too. Hoppers tend to live more isolated lives while locust travel in groups searching for food or when threatened.

I feed my chams an almost exclusively wild caught diet spring to fall. Hoppers, mantids, moths, Dragon flies.... their abundance naturally rises and falls throughout the year so it makes feeding a variety of bugs easy. I can do this because I live in the middle of nowhere so I know there is no danger of contaminants. I also run a very aggressive parasite monitoring program just in case, to date I’ve never had an infection.

Yes, you can BUT I don’t recommend it to anyone. I’m sure someone will be along shortly screaming about parasites and pesticides and they are not wrong, it’s ultimately up to you to implement this kind of program safely.

^^ lucky!! I live right on the city line and pesticides, chemicals, rats, and general pollution are too much of a concern for me to feed WC insects... but I do try to catch them to breed. I need more katydids and grasshoppers, though... my problem is I find one or two from a variety of species, which in this case stinks because it makes it harder to find enough of the same species to breed.

Interesting thread ....please clarify in layman's terms the difference between locusts and grasshoppers...and are lubbers (which are on the Do Not Feed list) just a large variety of grasshopper?

We've got tons of wild hoppers here in CO that can leap over tall buildings in a single bound...I get pelted when I walk my dogs thru the fields...can I feed these?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust

Long story short, certain swarming species of grasshoppers are considered locusts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_locust_species

Lubbers are just a big slow, toxic grasshopper. Very easy to distinguish due to size, coloration, and slow clumsy movement.

Those sound like pallid-winged grasshoppers and they are completely safe, aside from the usual risks of feeding wc. They are gray and make kind of a buzzing sound when they fly, right?

We won’t catch last night, and will again tonight. We were catching 50 leaf katydids an hour a month ago but they’ve all disappeared now and the mantid are out. Caught this large female on the way out. She helped herself to some of Roux’s hoppers this morning.
0167E650-7935-4213-BF93-F9E0FA6C03D3.jpeg

Attachments

• 477FF529-E78A-42B6-8719-FDD8F0EACC17.jpeg
    477FF529-E78A-42B6-8719-FDD8F0EACC17.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 229
I just realized this is my old thread from years ago, to think we were actually trying to catch them in the daytime 100* heat back then. Learned so much since then....

teach me your ways sensi! I was planning to go to a local grassland park around sunset to look for them. They’re closed after dark so i cant look super late :(

teach me your ways sensi! I was planning to go to a local grassland park around sunset to look for them. They’re closed after dark so i cant look super late :(
Lol. Really needs to be at least 30 min after dark to do what we do.

I use two techniques.

First is to just spot light them, they won’t run if you keep the light directly on them. Never put your hand between the light and the hopper. This breaks the trance their in and they will break away.

Second is a light trap, they tend to catch a lot more flying insects than anything else. All you need to do is hang up a white sheet and shine a black light on it. It will draw in any bugs close enough to see it.

0E0AAF62-9BB6-4A80-B719-B4486F3DEB18.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust

Long story short, certain swarming species of grasshoppers are considered locusts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_locust_species

Lubbers are just a big slow, toxic grasshopper. Very easy to distinguish due to size, coloration, and slow clumsy movement.

Those sound like pallid-winged grasshoppers and they are completely safe, aside from the usual risks of feeding wc. They are gray and make kind of a buzzing sound when they fly, right?
right! and, thanks for the condensation of information ;) got the flu ATM so my brain is sorta lame.

I actually have a USDA and state permit to breed and ship giant Schistocerca grasshoppers in my home state of California. However I have always supplemented my colonies during the summer with wild caught lineages to keep my breeding stock going strong. The last couple year due to terrible collecting conditions and my chameleons fondness for Schistocerca hoppers my colony is not going at the moment. I think I have one or two Schistocerca nitens. However I want to start the larger breeding colony breeding and going again, I apologize people outside of California as I cannot ship there. However I sell grasshopper breeding/care sheets you can pm me about. You can start colonies of grasshoppers similar to breeding colonies of roaches. These care sheets can be used for other species other than genus Schistocerca.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
You sell hoppers. I'm in cali

Looks like a really old thread but my new website is feedmychameleon.com

For grasshopper species I have Schistocerca nitens/lineata/shoshone, Melanoplus differentialis/bivittatus, along with katydids, etc.
Are you able to ship across state lines? I know many people who would love to add hoppers to their feeding schedule for their herps, but nobody seems to really understand the USDA regulations and permitting on that.

Are you able to ship across state lines? I know many people who would love to add hoppers to their feeding schedule for their herps, but nobody seems to really understand the USDA regulations and permitting on that.
Yeah I'll have to make a guide on that at some point. State rules are most important (e.g., keeping species native to your state). Melanoplus differentialis is a great species in this sense because USDA has removed all regulations on it.

Back
Top Bottom