Little bump on inner left eye!

Doomsmom34

Hi,

Just this morning I saw a bump on the inner corner of my veiled chameleon’s eye. He hasn’t had eye issues ever. He is about a year old and just got done with a shedding cycle. Has anyone else had this issue? I have seen it could be due to shedding but I just want to see if there could be any other potential reasons before I take him to the vet. His mannerisms haven’t changed and he still eats normally. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• E4B3A78D-4DBD-4D72-ABB4-F36EBE1D8429.jpeg
    E4B3A78D-4DBD-4D72-ABB4-F36EBE1D8429.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 0EBBEA20-9C3F-4B7A-9EE7-82638DCD5C1A.jpeg
    0EBBEA20-9C3F-4B7A-9EE7-82638DCD5C1A.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 54
Hi,

I sprinkle his food with Fluker’s calcium without D3 every other feeding. I did have to take him off of it for a second because I was overdosing him with calcium and he was getting Calcium deposits on his ribs.

Hi,

I sprinkle his food with Fluker’s calcium without D3 every other feeding. I did have to take him off of it for a second because I was overdosing him with calcium and he was getting Calcium deposits on his ribs.
Without D3 would not produce calcium deposits... and you can not overdose on calcium without D3. Not sure who told you that but they were incorrect.

You normally see calcium deposits when supplementation is not correct and or UVB lighting is not correct.

We recommend using a calcium without D3 at every feeding and then 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th they need a multivitamin that has vitamin A and D3 in it.

Are you using anything else? What UVB lighting are you using?

No red bulbs should be used for them. This is very bad on their eyes.

I had this problem in both eyes when my Panther was about a year old. I took him to the vet and they flushed but don't think they lanced them (I had to wait in the car) and he seemed good for a while. Then, only the right eye had a bulge again. It didn't seem to bother him so I let it go for about six months and recently "refreshed" his enclosure and scrapped the Exo Terra jungle vines. I think I remember reading here where Beman advised these are bad for chams when they rub their eyes on that material. Replaced them with Fluker's small animal bend-a-branch and noticed after a few weeks that bulge was gone! Nothing else was replaced and no changes to supplimentation so I'm just guessing this might have done the trick. After seeing videos of veterinarians lancing these deposits I was planning to make an appointment but don't see any reason to now. Has anyone else experienced this where it went away on it's own?

Before:

1672869901466.png

After:

1672871011128.png

I do have artificial plants in his enclosure and definitely wanted to replace them. It came out of no where and it seems to have gone down significantly since the previous post. I am still going to keep an eye on his progress.

I also use a 12w UVB bulb and one 20W UVA bulb. I mist three times a day and usually rotate between meal worms and crickets.

Attaching his picture as of this morning. His swelling significantly decreased. Could be the plant irritation.

Attachments

• 3C40B442-A3BF-4B12-9F09-DAE750E66368.jpeg
    3C40B442-A3BF-4B12-9F09-DAE750E66368.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 50
I do have artificial plants in his enclosure and definitely wanted to replace them. It came out of no where and it seems to have gone down significantly since the previous post. I am still going to keep an eye on his progress.

I also use a 12w UVB bulb and one 20W UVA bulb. I mist three times a day and usually rotate between meal worms and crickets.

Attaching his picture as of this morning. His swelling significantly decreased. Could be the plant irritation.
So you are using the double dome fixture?

Correct. Also, now he has the same type of bump on the opposite side of his eye. They seem to be large in the morning and almost non existent at night. I feel like it’s in relation to the plants he is sleeping next to.

Correct. Also, now he has the same type of bump on the opposite side of his eye. They seem to be large in the morning and almost non existent at night. I feel like it’s in relation to the plants he is sleeping next to.
Ok so there are multiple things going on here. The only way I can really help is with more info. If you can copy and paste the form below into your reply and then answer all the questions with detail this will help me to help you. Also I need pics of the entire cage including the lights on top and of the chameleon.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Veiled Chameleon, Male, 1, 11 months
Every few days
I feed him crickets and meal worms rotate every couple days. I give him as many as he will strike and will remove any excess.
Fulkers calcium without D3, every feeding
I just recently started hand misting because the previous mister went out. It was a thrive mister that sprayed twice a day for 30 seconds and now I basically keep the same rotation with hand misting until I get a new one.
He has never been tested for parasites but his droppings are healthy.
He does have a lot of calcium deposits in his ribs that has already been confirmed with the Vet. She recommended getting the UVB light as well as putting less supplement on his food to ensure no other deposits form.
Cage Info:
It is a 32x18 inch screen enclosure.
The lights are on at 9 AM off at 10 PM. Both dome fixtures, one UVA bulb and one UVB bulb. The UVB bulb is a larger dome that covers a larger surface area with the UVB light.
Cage floor is at 72 degrees at a consistent rate. The basking spot is around 80-85 degrees. The lowest overnight temperature is around 68-70 degrees. I have a thermometer in there.
Humidity is around 40-50% depending on how much I mist the enclosure.
I use fake plants. It’s from a variety of producers.
It is adjacent to an air vent. The top of the cage is about 5 feet from the floor. It is on top of a pull out table .
Atlanta

He has bumps growing on the inner corner of his eyes. They seem to be larger when he wakes up and decrease as he moves around throughout the day. They almost disappear by night time.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 50
Can you post a picture of the entire cage for me please top to bottom?

I need a few more of him as well. Does he have a puffy area below the neck and almost in between the front legs? Trying to tell from the image if he is just mad or if he has edema as well.

See my feedback in Red bold.

Veiled Chameleon, Male, 1, 11 months

Every few days

I feed him crickets and meal worms rotate every couple days. I give him as many as he will strike and will remove any excess. He is holding extra weight. He should be getting 3-5 feeders max every other day at this age.

Fulkers calcium without D3, every feeding He needs a multivitamin as well. Buy this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLJRMV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in the 3 oz jar. You will give this lightly dusted on feeders two times a month say the 1st and the 15th. With all supplements you are lightly dusting them. They should not look like powdered donuts.

I just recently started hand misting because the previous mister went out. It was a thrive mister that sprayed twice a day for 30 seconds and now I basically keep the same rotation with hand misting until I get a new one. This is a very short period of time for him to have access to water typically they need a 1-2 minutes just to trigger a drinking response. Lack of proper water intake can lead to some serious long term health issues as he ages.

He has never been tested for parasites but his droppings are healthy.

He does have a lot of calcium deposits in his ribs that has already been confirmed with the Vet. She recommended getting the UVB light as well as putting less supplement on his food to ensure no other deposits form.
Cage Info:

It is a 32x18 inch screen enclosure. Looks like the 16x16x30 chameleon kit. This is going to be far too small for him. You need the 24x24x48 inch enclosure for him. He needs the room to move around. DIY cages makes one that is a bit cheaper than the reptibreeze screen cage.

The lights are on at 9 AM off at 10 PM. Both dome fixtures, one UVA bulb and one UVB bulb. The UVB bulb is a larger dome that covers a larger surface area with the UVB light.
This is one of the main issues. He is not getting the correct UVB lighting. You want a T5HO fixture with either a 5.0 bulb or a 6% bulb. You replace these bulbs yearly. THen this sits on the top of the cage with 8-9 inches to the closest branch below it for him to be in the proper exposure area. This is part of why he is getting the calcium deposits. He is not getting the correct UVB for his body to convert D3 which in turn pulls calcium from the bones. THis makes him high risk for fractures and MBD as well.
You want to get a 24inch fixture so it will work on the larger cage that he needs as well. This is a fixture with correct bulb https://www.amazon.com/DBDPet-Repti...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

Cage floor is at 72 degrees at a consistent rate. The basking spot is around 80-85 degrees. The lowest overnight temperature is around 68-70 degrees. I have a thermometer in there.

Humidity is around 40-50% depending on how much I mist the enclosure.

I use fake plants. It’s from a variety of producers. Fake plants are very dangerous with a Veiled because they will eat them. This in turn can cause an impaction which can be fatal. See image of recommended live plants and choose the veiled tested ones.

It is adjacent to an air vent. The top of the cage is about 5 feet from the floor. It is on top of a pull out table .

Atlanta

He has bumps growing on the inner corner of his eyes. They seem to be larger when he wakes up and decrease as he moves around throughout the day. They almost disappear by night time. This can be due to the incorrect supplementation and lack of a multivitamin along with the lack of proper UVB.
Start reading everything in this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 11.41.38 AM.png
chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Back
Top Bottom