Linear UVB fixtures

Mike Peterson

Is there a difference between T5 fixtures besides reflection with a reptile hood as opposed to a regular T5 ballast? I'm an electrician and not seeing any other difference. Anyone help?

Not all t5ho fixtures are created equal. Usually you get what you pay for. A $15 Walmart option might save you today but you can't be sure of the quality. A bad ballast can cause the bulbs to burn the phosphorus in the bulbs faster than a quality hood. Rendering the bulbs useless faster than you would expect or guaranteed.

Not all t5ho fixtures are created equal. Usually you get what you pay for. A $15 Walmart option might save you today but you can't be sure of the quality. A bad ballast can cause the bulbs to burn the phosphorus in the bulbs faster than a quality hood. Rendering the bulbs useless faster than you would expect or guaranteed.

I would agree, but with a serious however.

Thats true, however the OP, was asking about "Reptile ballasts" thinking that a Reptile company will provide you with anything better than that 15 dollar Walmart ballast would be ill advised, and you get what you pay for isnt always true.

Great example, the Reptisun Ballasts are a piece of 10 dollar Chinese junk, not a Phillips or Lutron quality ballast. This is the case with ALOT of the reptile Industry. A recent one I really liked, was the "Biodude" has that thermometer/hygrometer for 15.99, that is 4.50 on Alibaba. JD spots, have a Chinese variant (Not sure if chicken or the egg is the case here). Just because something costs more, does not mean its made better, ESPECIALLY in niche industry's like this one.

If you positively for a fact want a good quality ballast, buy your ballasts from a reliable industry that uses them, with a brand you know you can trust. Like a Phillips Fixture, or ATI, or at the very least one that someone has reviewed and found a quality ballast in or one that states which ballast it uses.

Back
Top Bottom