Line bred

klewis

Hi all, I'm new to the game but with a lot of knowledge besides a few thing of course to which I'm about to ask.

I'm building my enclosure and believe I've got it all on point but am inquiring around my region for a male panther, now a few have gotten back to me with out of stock or they have a over 4 years old male which is not what I'm looking for.

Just today I got an email from a "reptile store" claiming to have two available but they are "line bred" to get rid of green colouring in the skin, the rest was very professional from the dude but as far as I know line bred means dad and daughter or some sort of family anyhow.

Can anyone help me with if this is ok to buy or if there are problems with it or if this guy is just a bad breeder or not???

Any help would be great!!!!

IC-1-1024x852.jpg

The higher the inbred coefficient (the odds both mom and dad are genetic twins) the higher the odds of genetic anomalies(bad traits). Generally for a "line" you want this number to be lower than 15%. For a "breed" doesnt matter if its dog/cat/veiled it takes a block of about 42(or was it 50...) animals in order to get a good line with no defects. At that stage offspring can breed with each other problem free, you just cant have offspring of the same pair breed with each other.

Last edited:
I saw those charts, but I hesitate posting anything I can't understand myself. :oops:
(I think I probably could understand them with some study, but I'm nursing a 7/10 migraine this morning. ?)

Just a SWAG* that "breed" for panther chameleons could be locales?
IDK what would constitute "breeds" for other species.

*Sophisticated Wild-Ass Guess (It's a technical industry term ;) )

do not inbreed or support it!!! pay attention to inbred or full breed dogs & cats.....they are not right...inbred chameleons have physical & internal problems short lives etc..

Line breeding is different than inbreeding. Line breeding, the breeding of distantly related individuals can help decrease variabilities while slowly decreasing known issues, when done right. Inbreeding is bad, and involves direct relatives. Whether the person doing the breeding actually knew the difference is questionable, though

Back
Top Bottom