lights

I use these indoors.
I'm not sure how many others do.
Mine live outside a lot and don't need lighting out there.
However, the ones to NOT USE are the spiral, coiled, compact florescent bulbs.

Attachments

• 20191129_151407.jpg
    20191129_151407.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 115
One of these in one of those.
Or you can often get a 5.0 tube already inside a fixture at a pet shop.
You'll just pay more.
I get my Tubes on CHEWY,COM and the 18" "under cabinet" fixtures at Home Depot or Walmart and throw away the household tube that they come with.
I also use the Reptisun MV bulb I already posted. That type also gives off heat.
A strip florescent gives off almost no heat. So you'd still need a heat source.

Attachments

• 20190922_193238.jpg
    20190922_193238.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20190922_130710.jpg
    20190922_130710.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 115
One of these in one of those.
Or you can often get a 5.0 tube already inside a fixture at a pet shop.
You'll just pay more.
I get my Tubes on CHEWY,COM and the 18" "under cabinet" fixtures at Home Depot or Walmart and throw away the household tube that they come with.
I also use the Reptisun MV bulb I already posted. That type also gives off heat.
A strip florescent gives off almost no heat. So you'd still need a heat source.
Problem with that is the ballast inside your Walmart fixture is not made for UVB bulbs. You're probably burning out the phosphorus in the bulbs way faster than intended this making your bulbs less effective in the long run.

I have been using these with both mine since they were about 3- 4 months. I have had any issues, and my animals are very healthy. The first two months were under a power compact.

I see this debate all the time , and they always leave out 2 key factors. How far away will the bulb be and what is the divider from the light screen, open, 1/4 in mesh.

I have large open air enclosures that I need to cover, so for me it is 2 in one metal halide. The penetrate deeper. However for say a female in an 18x18x36 just sitting on the screen would cook them.

All three types are great in their right situations.

As far as brands I use the Solar Glo that ZEROPILOT showed above.

Attachments

• enclosure_1.jpg
    enclosure_1.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 55
Problem with that is the ballast inside your Walmart fixture is not made for UVB bulbs. You're probably burning out the phosphorus in the bulbs way faster than intended this making your bulbs less effective in the long run.

Ya I don't think so.

No ballast is made for UVB bulbs. The UV fixtures we use, are just good quality fixtures. None of the UV company's have custom made fixtures or ballasts. They use the same tech as everyone else. I don't think any of them even make the bulbs tbh. I know for a fact Arcadia doesn't, they have made the recipe, but some one else produces the bulb. Same is likely true, for the rest.

Making Floursencent lights, UV or not, (which all of them put out some UV) takes very large machines, in very large factories. That's all China, especially as making them is dangerous. China don't care.

The reptile industry is honestly very small. Things like UV lights, are one thing, where it sells decently often enough, and so somewhat viable to alter a product to suit. Ballasts, we don't even skim the surface of enough fixtures bought and sold, to warrant a custom ballast. Most of the tech we get in this industry, are hammy downs. We are scrounging to fill our needs, more so than having products designed for us specifically.

That fixture likely has a decent ballast. But it's t8, so less UV, and no reflecor, so it's definitely not providing as high of UVI as a T5 with a Reflector.

Back
Top Bottom