Lights

Chachi

Established Member
I use REPTISUN uvb 5.0 lighting. I change them out every 6 months. I never bought a light meter because I use the safest use parameters. My jackson has something wrong. We did blood and he is upside down w his phos and calcium! How can that be??? I gutload, (the stuff i alternate w is in the pic) I dust EVERY day. I use calcium w D every other week I use vitamins in much the same way. My bulbs are no older than 5 months.
So, i borrowed a light meter from my vet. EVERY SINGLE LIGHT IS LESS THAN A 2. I have 1 that is 2 weeks old and its just as low. I dont get it.
What light are you guys using?
I need help. My jackson is eating and doing normal stuff (see pic) but I knew he was acting different. His numbers are barely off, maybe a few numbers, but the time to fix this huge problem is now.Ok, here is the chart. A new bulb, well, all of my bulbs should be at least a 5 or 6, right. I mean, they are all w/i the safe time limit.Tell me what you guys are doing. I have 5 chams.My jackson is 4 I had no idea this was this way. I kinda cant believe this!

Attachments

• 1470316459455-913182972.jpg
    1470316459455-913182972.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 92
  • 14703167618161050004736.jpg
    14703167618161050004736.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_20160522-075949.png
    Screenshot_20160522-075949.png
    487.3 KB · Views: 91
What type of enclosure do you have? How far is the bulb from the general living area and what type of screen is between the bulb and that area? I use Arcadia UVB bulbs (T5 HO) and the reflector has a lot to do woth the intesity.

18x18x36 zoomed like in the petshops, regular screen, you know, the have those zoomed cham cages? I have 1 of those. Lights on top. But I dont have a fancy light holder, just a plastic one but his basking area is 7" from the light. He doesnt always sit there. He likes to "patrol his property", kinda. He knows every area so he isnt up by that bulb all the time. I have a credit card. Tell me what to buy if you think you know my issue.

Attachments

• 1470318165652-106122146.jpg
    1470318165652-106122146.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 1470318199654-346700949.jpg
    1470318199654-346700949.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 86
  • 14703182290411996591217.jpg
    14703182290411996591217.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 91
Im so worried regarding the numbers that i brought 3 outside while its still cool. Im gonna give these guys an hr and Ill get the boys out here.
20160804_081526.jpg

Its pretty cloudy here in Denver and I just measured the sun (which i have no idea it this gizmo measures the real sun) and the numbers are about1.5 up and down. So, if its the same, maybe im freakin out and over reacting. I am ashamed to say i yelled at the zoomed girl and said "what good is th @%*#@ money if you guys are selling substandard products". I feel foolish now. Anybody w an opinion (not about my behavior, i know that one) please let it fly

Your meter is quite different from mine and I'm not sure if it's a reliable one or not. I use the solar meter 6.2 and have had it for 8 + years. My inside Reptisun 5.0's read from 18 to 30 and natural outside sun 200 to 400. I have not kept Jacksons before but I do know they take less supplements than veileds and panthers. If they go outside they probably need little to no supplementing. Who's your vet? Dayna from here is a vet in Denver and she sees chameleons and use to have a Jackson. She could help you out allot.

I'm assuming that the light meter is a Solarmeter 6.5 (or the ZooMed version) that measures UV index. The "5.0" rating on the bulb means that 5% of the bulb's power is in the UV spectrum. It does not mean that the bulb puts out a UV index of 5. The Ferguson Zone recommends a UV index range of 0.7 - 1.0 for old world chameleons. (pages 3 & 4 of this: http://www.zoomed.com/Library//ProductDBFiles/ST-7_UV_Mtr_Instrctns.pdf ). So you should actually be good. Still everyone seems to agree that natural sunlight is better, which suggests to me that something more than just UVB would be optimal. I commend you for getting actual measurements and not just guessing. You can learn a lot more about UV lighting here: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm

Your meter is quite different from mine and I'm not sure if it's a reliable one or not. I use the solar meter 6.2 and have had it for 8 + years. My inside Reptisun 5.0's read from 18 to 30 and natural outside sun 200 to 400. I have not kept Jacksons before but I do know they take less supplements than veileds and panthers. If they go outside they probably need little to no supplementing. Who's your vet? Dayna from here is a vet in Denver and she sees chameleons and use to have a Jackson. She could help you out allot.
I called where she works and
I'm assuming that the light meter is a Solarmeter 6.5 (or the ZooMed version) that measures UV index. The "5.0" rating on the bulb means that 5% of the bulb's power is in the UV spectrum. It does not mean that the bulb puts out a UV index of 5. The Ferguson Zone recommends a UV index range of 0.7 - 1.0 for old world chameleons. (pages 3 & 4 of this: http://www.zoomed.com/Library//ProductDBFiles/ST-7_UV_Mtr_Instrctns.pdf ). So you should actually be good. Still everyone seems to agree that natural sunlight is better, which suggests to me that something more than just UVB would be optimal. I commend you for getting actual measurements and not just guessing. You can learn a lot more about UV lighting here: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm
Well, thank you. I have them outside right now, in travel cages. I have one boy that is shedding. Do ya think i should take him out anyway? Im gonna read what you sent. Yes i have the zoomed . Why do they send you that chart just to freak you out. Lol. I read that 'low zone' thing and came unglued. I mean look at my gutload etc. if i was anymore 'diligent' my daughter would have me committed. Haha

I sent you a note. Thanks for the input. Someone else just showed me that Im looking at the wrong part of the booklet. Im feeling better about my lights now but i cant figure out how Hannibal has got enough calcium. I changed brands to Repashy, now, so maybe that will help too. I think im gonna chang out all my bulbs to 10.0s What do you think

I called where she works and

Well, thank you. I have them outside right now, in travel cages. I have one boy that is shedding. Do ya think i should take him out anyway? Im gonna read what you sent. Yes i have the zoomed . Why do they send you that chart just to freak you out. Lol. I read that 'low zone' thing and came unglued. I mean look at my gutload etc. if i was anymore 'diligent' my daughter would have me committed. Haha
Do you think i should get 10s instead of 5s?

5.0 should be fine unless you have super large cages.

Also, I would be afraid those light weight cages would blow over outside and your chameleons get hurt or killed. I've seen it happen on here before.

5.0 should be fine unless you have super large cages.

Also, I would be afraid those light weight cages would blow over outside and your chameleons get hurt or killed. I've seen it happen on here before.
2 of them are completely metal and one has screen over metal but Ill rit a bigger plant in the screen one. I stay out there mostly, in to get more coffee or something. Well, since the lights are right, do you think that reptivite is no good? I changed to repashy but ive been using reprivite the last few years. This was very slow to happen cause i havnt changed anything but that.

2 of them are completely metal and one has screen over metal but Ill rit a bigger plant in the screen one. I stay out there mostly, in to get more coffee or something. Well, since the lights are right, do you think that reptivite is no good? I changed to repashy but ive been using reprivite the last few years. This was very slow to happen cause i havnt changed anything but that.
I mean reptical.

Attachments

• 1470332113159137233699.jpg
    1470332113159137233699.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 14703321458191698356792.jpg
    14703321458191698356792.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 141
Nothing will ever replace the natural sunlight,take advantage of the nice weather in summer,that warm weather brings out the vivid colors of the chams,even urself too....after all ,the chams seems more calmer back in their cages....they knows better.

I use REPTISUN uvb 5.0 lighting. I change them out every 6 months. I never bought a light meter because I use the safest use parameters. My jackson has something wrong. We did blood and he is upside down w his phos and calcium! How can that be??? I gutload, (the stuff i alternate w is in the pic) I dust EVERY day. I use calcium w D every other week I use vitamins in much the same way. My bulbs are no older than 5 months.
So, i borrowed a light meter from my vet. EVERY SINGLE LIGHT IS LESS THAN A 2. I have 1 that is 2 weeks old and its just as low. I dont get it.
What light are you guys using?
I need help. My jackson is eating and doing normal stuff (see pic) but I knew he was acting different. His numbers are barely off, maybe a few numbers, but the time to fix this huge problem is now.Ok, here is the chart. A new bulb, well, all of my bulbs should be at least a 5 or 6, right. I mean, they are all w/i the safe time limit.Tell me what you guys are doing. I have 5 chams.My jackson is 4 I had no idea this was this way. I kinda cant believe this!
Jax are more sensitive to fat-soluable vitamins such as D3. Try reducing the frequency of the calcium WITH D3 to once a month, and do the same with the herp multivitamin.

Back
Top Bottom