Lights out advice please

pippa

I have the heat lamp and uv on a timer which is set 7:30 to 19:30 . The set up is in my living room when the lights go out should I cover the front of viv so he's in darkness ? As we don't normally go to bed till 22:00
Thank you

I would, mine will not go to sleep unless it is dark and usually pretty quiet after his lights are turned out.

I have the heat lamp and uv on a timer which is set 7:30 to 19:30 . The set up is in my living room when the lights go out should I cover the front of viv so he's in darkness ? As we don't normally go to bed till 22:00
Thank you
It should be complete darkness at sleep time, if you have a Panther you don't a heat light unless it goes below 50f

If you can't re-locate him to a diff. spot, then covering the cage, much like a bird, is the best option.

None of mine sleep in complete black darkness and sleep fine. Some faint light is ok but if you've got the room lit right up then covering the cage is your best option.

In the wild would the night time light not change with the moon? It wouldn't always be completely dark but most animals seem to manage.

Neither of mine care . As soon as it gets dim or 8PM they are asleep . Pretty sure many species live near highways and cities where light pollution is common. My daughters veiled goes to sleep on her head when we are watching tv all the time.

I think sometimes people are just a little paranoid or over protective about their chams. But, it's better to be that way than to be careless!

Only my jackson seems to wake up when there is more light than just a blue tv light on. Complete darkness is always best for them, but a little bit of light isn't something to fret about unless you notice they not sleeping or sleeping during the day. My panther male can sleep almost through anything XD unless the light are on full blast, I have dimmer switches on my house lights. I can bump them up to half way with Ryker and he'll sleep right through it, if it suddenly changes to too bright he'll wake up and give the sleepy grumpy look. But it's mostly movement and loud sounds that wake him up.

my panther and veiled can sleep through anything buy my jacksons is a very light sleeper. i feel bad because i wake him up too early when i get ready for work.

Is it normal for jacksons to be lighter sleepers? Just wondering if anyone has more experience. Hope is my first Jacksons.

my veid and panther doesn't care,,,,,, when its gets dark out side they asleep when the sun comes up they awake ,, I guess different species will act different

Well its been four days and I turn the main light off but tv stays on he doesn't mind at all just goes to sleep .Yep just being paranoid as a newbie to chameleons lots of different answers to my post which makes me realise chameleons are all different
Thank you all

Only my jackson seems to wake up when there is more light than just a blue tv light on. Complete darkness is always best for them, but a little bit of light isn't something to fret about unless you notice they not sleeping or sleeping during the day. My panther male can sleep almost through anything XD unless the light are on full blast, I have dimmer switches on my house lights. I can bump them up to half way with Ryker and he'll sleep right through it, if it suddenly changes to too bright he'll wake up and give the sleepy grumpy look. But it's mostly movement and loud sounds that wake him up.
Mine are light sleepers, and wake up much easer than my Veiled ever did. So I think it's pretty much the norm for these guys.

Well its been four days and I turn the main light off but tv stays on he doesn't mind at all just goes to sleep .Yep just being paranoid as a newbie to chameleons lots of different answers to my post which makes me realise chameleons are all different
Thank you all
That's exactly right! Each is different.

Back
Top Bottom