Lighting

Courtney

Ok i have a big problem i have a clamp light for each of my set ups im useing a 40 watt reg bulb but i con only leave it on for short periods at a time or they overheat. its not directly over them the buld is about a foot from top of cage and the highest they go is about 8 in from top why are they over heating at 80???? the room they are in stays at the high 70 range...

What do you mean overheating? Do you measure their skin temps with a tempgun of some sort?

What overheats? Post a picture of your lighting and your cage this will help a lot! Also how are you measuring temps?

digital. and my pc is jacked it wont let me upload the new pics here are a few of the old ones i have a second set up it looks the same. the only difference is that they are shareing the uvb. i have trimed the plant in the bushy one to keep the male lower. if the heat light is on for too long of a time the open their mouths this started before i seperated them. i seaperated them cause she did it first and i figured based on some advice that she might be gapeing as a defensive move. even though i hadnt bought a second uvb tube yet. the clamp light is alot higher than pictured in this link.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/critique-me-please-32474/

its 73.8 in their cages now if i turn on the clamps it jumps to 80+ really fast they they bask for maybe 15 min then they open their mouths. i turn the clamps off the close their mouths. are my chams just not smart enough yet to move to a cooler part of their habitat???

Try raising up the lap a bit. If it gets too hot then move it up till its adequate levels of heat. How are you measuring the temp at the basking spot?

what I did in my first cage is I got some screw hooks and hung my heat lamp from the ceiling with some string and if it got warm I would raise the it I think the highest it got from the top of the cage was just over a foot.

thats where i have a problem my ceiling is vaulted and b/c it gets hot in here easy i have my ceiling fan on high 24/7 so it would just sway around if i hung them also the house we live in is for sale so i cant go puting excess holes in places. i am useing a digital thermomiter. i have moved them all over the place trying to ming the sweet spot no luck in 4 days driving me crazy but i guess thats all i can do till i get it right

Get a lower wattage bulb. I switch between a 25 and 40 watt depending on the rooms ambient temp. Usually never gets above 83-84 with the 40 watt bulb about 7 inches from the basking spot on a colder day.

Also, babies dont thermoregulate as well as adults, which is why they need lower temps. Hence why everyone says to lower baby temps or they'll cook.

Get a lower wattage bulb. I switch between a 25 and 40 watt depending on the rooms ambient temp. Usually never gets above 83-84 with the 40 watt bulb about 7 inches from the basking spot on a colder day.

Also, babies dont thermoregulate as well as adults, which is why they need lower temps. Hence why everyone says to lower baby temps or they'll cook.

well then I agree with PSSH get lower wattage bulb also I would suggest grabbing one of these from Radio Shack they work very well http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049773

Back
Top Bottom